Thread: MTS import problems!

Unhappy MTS import problems!

Hi guys,

I'm having issues importing MTS files into AVID. I have a trial version of Sony Vegas installed, as it seems that is the only software I can find that can read the files, and I have followed a friend's suggestion of converting the files to .mov using the animation setting. This seems to give good results quality wise (though I am only looking at it on my computer monitor - I'm not sure how it will look on a cinema screen) but the .mov files are absolutely massive, so big infact that it's near impossible to edit with them in Avid. I've concluded that I'm going to have the edit the scenes in a lower res, and then once the edit is locked, replace the video files with HD ones. In the mean time I came up with the idea to print the .MTS files from Sony Vegas on to a SD tape therefore, I know I can capture and edit the footage. I did this using the following settings: Print video to tape -- Video output: Pal DV widescreen -- Enable multichannel mapping: off.

But the video is left with horizontal lines across the screen everytime the camera moves. I've think I've heard someone call this an interlacing problem? But at the risk of sounding stupid I don't know what that means or even if that is what is causing the problem.

What can I do about this?
    Jess

Blog Entries

Yes, those symptoms are consistent with converting interlaced footage. It's possible that you got the field order wrong (see here for details: CreativeCOW). However, as these are "proxy" files, and won't be used in the final edit, you could "put up" with the interlacing artifacts for the edit

Thumbs up Half way there...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I've had a play about with the project settings and (fingers crossed) the interlacing seems to have cleared up. The footage is by no means perfect but I can atleast work with it for now. Still no closer to figuring out what is the best way to convert MTS files though!