Thread: Is my Firewire Card leading to dropped frames? H E L P ...................!!!

Default Is my Firewire Card leading to dropped frames? H E L P ...................!!!

Hi,

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible.

Got a new PC from Cube 247 about three weeks ago. To cut a long story short, when importing footage from my Canon XM2 via Firewire, there are tonnes of dropped frames every time.

To diagnose the problem I tried a few solutions. I bought a new firewire lead - same thing happened.

I thought it might be a dodgy firewire socket on the camcorder, so I imported to my old PC (5 times just to be sure) - no dropped frames, so the camcorder and firewire leads are fine.

I then edited and produced a Flip video just to see if the new software was working okay - it worked fine (Pinnacle 14 with all the latest updates online). Windows is also completely up to date by the way.

So I thought the actual Firewire card was the problem - phoned Cube, they told me to return it. Got a brand new Firewire card in the post from them, installed it and to my rage......still loads of dropped frames.

Any ideas what the problem might be??? I've spent big money on a great PC, solely for video editing, and I can't even import any footage without dropping hundreds of frames. Should I just return the whole PC and get a refund???

Any thoughts or advice that solve the problem might lead to a reward. Okay, so that's a lie, but you get my drift. Help!! Thanks.

I doubt it's the firewire card, I've never had a dropped frame from dv capture and I've used some real cheapo basic cards in the passed. Unless your capturing while doing other stuff on your computer than may be causing conflicts.

The first place I'd look for issues is your with hard drive. Are you capturing to external USB by any chance? If so this is most likely your problem. If not, is your hard disc speed 7200rpm or higher, are you capturing to your system drive,or have you tried defragmenting your drive and capturing again?

David.

[QUOTE=david walsh;151926]I doubt it's the firewire card, I've never had a dropped frame from dv capture and I've used some real cheapo basic cards in the passed. Unless your capturing while doing other stuff on your computer than may be causing conflicts.

The first place I'd look for issues is your with hard drive. Are you capturing to external USB by any chance? If so this is most likely your problem. If not, is your hard disc speed 7200rpm or higher, are you capturing to your system drive,or have you tried defragmenting your drive and capturing again?

It's a brand new PC, so no defragmenting needed I presume. Not running anything else during import. Have disabled anti-virus and still doesn't work. Been capturing straight to 7,200rpm hard drive.???
    I'm baffled. Can anyone help? Could it be the Pinnacle software ??? Or something else with the actual PC?

Blog Entries

Attempting to import using this software - Carr Engineering, Inc. DVIO - Digital Video Input Output - should eliminate whether it is a software issue.

What kind of firewire card is it? There are some brands that are notorious for not working well. This is especially true with the newer cards that use a PCI express slot. If it comes to trying a different card, I just rebuilt my machine and have been very happy with this little Rosewill Card.

You really have to be careful with PCIE firewire cards today. It's almost like the old days all over again where you had to have a Texas Instruments Firewire compliant card to make your cam work with it (and most of the cards that came built into MOBOs weren't back then). These PCIE (express) slots and cards seem to be going through some growing pains.

If your using a pci-e firewire card then my previous comments are irelevant, I've always used a pci card so I don't know of any pci-e issues. If this is the case, and it turns out it is your card, another option may be to change to a PCI card.

You never mentioned if the drive you are capturing to is your system drive. If so it's not the best idea, and even if it's a new computer it could need defragmenting, but probably not to the extent that would cause these problems. After a re-instal the first thing I do is defrag my system drive.

If you paid a lot of money for a new PC, I do kind of assume that you have more than one drive in it, and if there's nothng on the capture drive, or loads of free space, then right enough, probably no need to defrag.

As well as Marc's sugestion, you could also atempt to campture into windows movie maker,to check the hardware/software possibilities.

David.