Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost time codes?

Default Lost time codes?

Weird one, this. To me, anyway. I'm in the process of converting humongous amounts of VHS to DVD via Premiere/Encore and I have this one tape (which is 18 years old - but that's no different to the other tapes with which I'm working) that is causing me enormous problems. I'm converting via a Canopus ADVC-55 and periodically the captured image sticks, jumps and then rights itself for varying periods of time. Even more strangely, there is one 15 minute sequence (i.e. shot on a different day to all the other sequences) - out of a three hour tape - that is completely unaffected by the phenomenon. I noticed that, whenever the sticking/jumping occurs, the little green light on the ADVC-55 turns red. I look in the manual and discover that, among other reasons why it might do this (e.g. presence of Macrovision) it's because it can't sync to the source. As I know nothing about how a VHS video tape is encoded, is it possible that the timecodes - if indeed there are any on a VHS tape - have got mangled, but left the image undisturbed? Or was my camcorder playing up when it was recording? Or was the tape I was using (I obtained a number of 'commercial' tapes from work and re-used them) somehow encoded and the recording process didn't overwrite the encoding? The reason I 'know' that the image is undisturbed is that the tape plays fine on another VCR. (Although that makes me wonder if the VCR I use for capturing is perhaps more sensitive - it's a Sony - than the one in the family room, which is a Sanyo or Mitsui or something) Does a VCR not use/need time codes (again, if there are such things)? Touch wood, this is the first/only tape I've had this problem with out of about 15 I've converted so far. I'm intrigued by what's going on here and would appreciate anyone's insight.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

have you tried using one of your cheapo vcrs into the canopus instead of the sony?

No, I did consider that - but the disruption it would cause to the family room (where the VCR is at the heart of a rats nest of cables which interconnect TV, DVD player, amp, cassette player, CD player, projector etc.) just didn't bear thinking about... Is your temptation to blame the sensitivity of the VCR, then?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

Not especially. My canopus acts up occasionally, but never to that extent.
    It just seemed the first logical step in tracking down the fault. It seems to me that often, the cheapo stuff doesnt have the sensitivities that more expensive stuff does.

Yeah, it's annoying that the sheer logistics of changing the VCRs over prevents me from following through on the obvious first step of identifying/fixing the problem. I'm just interested to know what's likely to be happening here as I have no idea about how VHS videos are encoded or how they can get messed up - and especially why it's only happening on this one. (I should say, by the way, that it may be a Sony but it's not an expensive Sony) If it happens again, then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and incur the children's wrath...

Blog Entries

My local Cash Converters type second hand shop knocks out cheap VCRs at ten to fifteen quid these days.....
    Try the kids machine first, if its that, why not invest in one for your studio too?
    Or,just risk it for a swiss kit!

The Sony machine was indeed bought for, and is exclusively used by, what I laughingly call my 'edit suite' - and I caught enough crap for that particular purchase (I cited my entirely altruistic motives i.e. not wanting to spoil the family's entertainment enjoyment, but it went down as well as my alleged altruism always does...) So: getting a third machine to help me prove what the problem is with the second machine ain't gonna fly... :cry:

Blog Entries

Dont think I would enjoy living in your house!

(I NEVER tell her what I bought!)

You wouldn't enjoy living here? How do you think I feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    You wouldn't enjoy living here? How do you think I feel?
    All this juicy amunition. And to think I have your home address somewhere. I wonder what she would say if she got an anonymous letter....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast