Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow-motion test

Default Slow-motion test

Following a sideline in a recent thread where I mentioned my previous poor attempts at slowing down a clip. Well, being at home today, I've had time for a little play and come to the conclusion that it was simply a case of the previous clip not being suitable for slo-mo because it was basically movement across screen (specifically, the title shot from Final Hit with me walking across the graphic).

Well, given the style of shot I actually want to slow mo, I shot a bit of footage this morning and had a play.

The attached clip show the original shot, it slowed down in Premiere using the Matrox blend mode and also my 'Final Shot' using a 'ramped' slow-mo.

Seems that choosing the right clip makes all the difference.

I was quite impressed with myself tbh. A bit more playing with the timing of the 'ramped' shot and it would be really cool I reckon.

Oh, and please excuse the state of my kitchen and my overhanging gut

You should try slowing down the speed of your acting rather than the video. Even if its fractional, so you dont loose the fluid movment, you may find then there will be less need to slow in post and the overall quality will remain nice and high.
    First B/W semi pro music video in the bag! More to come.
    Dual Athlon MP 2800+ 2 Gig DDR Ram Pinnacle Edition V6.1 pro 2xXL1s

yeah. I know. I tried that. It worked pretty good too. Only trouble is of the few takes I took to test, the one I chose was the best angle, even if it was one of the fastest. It is a fine line though, if you're not fast enough then the swish ofthe jacket just isn;t right. Remember though, it's just a proof of concept.

Blog Entries

Alan, Alan, Alan. Do what I do and cheat . It's bloody hard to blend the speeds without a plugin - why don'y you have two camera angles: front and side. The front at full speed, the cut to the side at 1/5th speed, then back to the front at full speed.

Or put in a fake camera flash and flash sound effect. Full speed, "bang", slow mo, "bang", full speed.

Or combine it with some nifty acting for a cool effect. Full speed at the front until your hand touches your hip, then glide the cam around to the side as you stand still, then slow mo at the side, then rapid movement towards your back to see the "bullet" wizz off into the distance....

I want to film something :-(

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMills
    Oh, and please excuse the state of my kitchen
    I should think so too, that towel needed a monochrome filter

Seriously though, I thought it was quite smooth ...

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Alan, Alan, Alan. Do what I do and cheat . It's bloody hard to blend the speeds without a plugin - why don'y you have two camera angles: front and side. The front at full speed, the cut to the side at 1/5th speed, then back to the front at full speed.

Or put in a fake camera flash and flash sound effect. Full speed, "bang", slow mo, "bang", full speed.

Or combine it with some nifty acting for a cool effect. Full speed at the front until your hand touches your hip, then glide the cam around to the side as you stand still, then slow mo at the side, then rapid movement towards your back to see the "bullet" wizz off into the distance....

I want to film something :-(
    Voila! instant bullet time. lol

7. Default

I liked the final slo-mo edit. It looked pretty cool...

Way to go, Alan! You successfully made me want to get my cam out and practice doing this kind of sequence. You are an inspiration to us all! I thought it worked out very nicely.

Just for some kind of added effect, what if you added an overlay of the video that was 75-90% transparent and a fraction of a second behind or ahead of the actual footage? I'm not quite sure how it would turn out...but it might look cool. I was playing Max Payne and the bullet time effect used in that (although it is rendered 3D objects) does that effectively. Might spice up the footage a bit. It looks cool no matter how you do it, though.

And/Or...what if you had it fade to black and white as the sequence slows down, and then fade back to full color when it speeds back up? Just a thought.

not so sure about the desaturation. Aftre all we won't be shooting in Mrs. Jammy's kitchen (see first comp for this 'in' joke ).

As for the ghosting effect. That's worth a try. thanks. But I expect I'll getit wrong and it'll come out looking like some cheesey top of the pops video from about 20 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast