Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Setup - talking heads

Default Lighting Setup - talking heads

I'm about to launch a corporate video channel at work which will consist mainly of talking head videos. I'm shooting with a consumer camcorder (Sony HDRCX305EB) and would like to purchase a simple lighting system to improve the visual quality and to attempt to get a consistent look to the videos regardless of the lighting in different offices/time of day etc.

I'm a total noob so have been reading up on lighting techniques and think that three point lighting will suffice. I'd like to use softboxes for the key and fill light... not sure about what to use for the back-light.

I'm looking to spend around 250. Does anyone know of a good starter kit for three point lighting? Or even a mid-range brand that I should consider? These are in the right price range but perhaps a little cheap looking.

What about THESE, The price is well within your budget you could get two pairs and we could split the rest between us. (only joking)

Surrey, England

Hi all,

I am about to take the plunge and buy some lighting as well. Can anybody tell me if this will do me for a starter kit?

3000 watts Quartz Light kit with Twin Umbrella Kit - 315 | Continuous Light Kits - Backdropsource

I am looking to conduct interviews mainly. Thanks in advance

If it's mainly for interviews, I'd go for soft boxes rather than umbrella style lights. This will give you a nicer light for peoples faces. They are usually like umbrellas with a Velcro tear off front. I'm not an expert on the different makes of lights. Example link is in my previous post above.

The ideal starter lighting kit and the ideal kit for talking heads is the basic, set of three redheads (800watt) with barn doors, it is a very versatile system and wont ever get abandoned as a "used to be used" starter set.

In my opinion softboxes are a waist of money for most uses. For spreading large amounts of light over large areas, then mabe, but a bit of difusion paper clipped onto the barn doors, does perfectly well for most purposes.

Getting some diffusion paper, some CTO, CTB and some ND filter sheets is a lot cheaper than buying softboxes and the system then becomes extremely versatile.

I'm not so keen on the idea of any form of diffusion on a key light, it's nice to have it hard. letterbox the barn doors on the backlight, diffuse the fill and use the hard key to get a nice Rembrant triangle, it gives a very professional look.

If budgets can be stretched a bit I think this is as cheap as you'll find such a set, and it definately wouldn't be regreted:

However, I can't say anything for the quality of this manufacturer as I don't know the particular lights, but any I do know are a fair amount more expensive. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone that's used them. One thing to consider is that they dont have dimmers, but layering ND filters will give a decent amount of control. On that note, at the low cost adding in a set of these is a must.

Another great point about a set of 3 red heads is that with a total of 2400 watts they can even be used in a domestic location.

Last edited by david walsh; 12-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Just to add, they also do kits. You get a carry case, clips and the filters mentioned. The more expensive of the kits also has dimmer switches.

That's where I got mine from BUT the kits are a bit above your initial example price.

Blog Entries

My opinion is to go for softboxes. Redheads and diffusion isn't the same, nor is it anywhere as soft as a softbox.

With a soft key light you can light almost anyone as long as you remember that soft lighting doesn't have to be bland lighting.

In kit form the price is getting closer to some of the more expencive brands for sure. What's the quality of the indikit lights like?

soft lighting doesn't have to be bland lighting
    Definately, and often hard lighting is done with way too high contrast ratios resulting in the opposite problem of becoming too distinct. But there are of course many opinions, and sometimes hard lighting , or soft, is just wrong for a situation.

My personal preference for the suggested purposes is a hard keylight, though I have worked with people that prefer the soft look and have used it at their request.

Surrey, England

On this note, I am looking at a system that has a combined 3000w output. I am not really sure how to estimate how wattage transfers to the light I will see though.

What I need to know is will that output be enough to light a person, or maybe two people sitting next to each other in a previoulsy pitch black room?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast