Thread: Editing text media edits all copies of it

1. Default Editing text media edits all copies of it

Hello!
    I've been using Sony Vegas for quite some time, but today I encountered a problem I don't know how to fix. I am doing a video with a lot of Text Media (ie text on top of the video) and I usually do it by creating one instance of it, setting the font etc, and then copying it for every new text that will appear in the video and changing the text for each one. However, suddenly, when I edit one of the copies or the original media, every single copy, that is to say every single text media that's been based on a copy of the first one, is edited at the same time. So if I have 10 Text Medias, editing one changes the text in all 10 of them. Not only does this slow down Vegas a lot (it literally takes about 2 minutes for a long text to be written out in the editing window when it tries to change several medias at once), but it also forces me to resort to the tedious process of adding a new text media and changing font, etc, for each new instance of text I want in the video.

How do I fix this?

When you paste the copy do you get a message saying create new copy or create reference copy. It sounds like you made a reference copy so if you copy and paste again make sure create new copy is selected.

I can offer 2 tips here:-

1] For long form text use a Text/Word processors and copy paste into SONY Text.

2] Explore the option of creating your own Presets and use them and then drag those to the Timeline.

Using the 2 tips above saves heaps of time.

4. Default

Thanks for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When you paste the copy do you get a message saying create new copy or create reference copy. It sounds like you made a reference copy so if you copy and paste again make sure create new copy is selected.
    I don't get a message at all when I copy, so it might have turned on reference copies as default. How do I change that?

I've had a look but I don't see anything. It's something I've never had to deal with so haven't figured it out. Sorry. What is your version of Vegas mine is Pro 9e