Thread: Camcorder for a project - advanced timing

Question Camcorder for a project - advanced timing

Hi all,

I need a camcorder for a scientific project with advanced timing functions.

The idea is as follows:

I need to set up a camcorder in one place on a tripod, then I need it to record at specific intervals (and maybe even days). For example, record 1 hour videos from 9-10, 12-13, 16-17 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. Given sufficient memory capacity, I would prefer to download the videos for storage on my PC e.g. once a week. The camcorder would be located close to the mains electricity source, so battery life is not so important. The video quality is also not very important, as long as it's reasonably good.

The price range again is not very important, i.e. I can afford anything up to ~ 1000, but if a cheaper model would do the job, then that would be sufficient.

Many thanks in advance if you have any suggestions.

I can't think of a camera that will store a weeks worth of filming or with an on off timer like your looking for. Maybe you need to think about hooking the camera up to record directly onto the PC. I rig that up to do the timing. I don't know anything about that kind of software except I know your can record directly on to the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I can't think of a camera that will store a weeks worth of filming ...
    I'm not talking about weeks worth of filming. I am only planning to film for about 3 hours a day (spread throughout the day) and about 3 days a week, that is = 9 hours. Should be manageable for modern camcorders. The only problem is to make this process automated, as the camcorder would be in a far-away location, and attending to it every day would be very inconvenient.

Well I suppose you could squeese 9 hrs of footage if it's not HD onto a high capacity card so any camera that will take a 64bit card. BUT the timing/switching on and off automatically is still not something I know off without computer controle so if you have the software to do that you may as well record directly onto the computer.

Perhaps look at an IP Wireless camera. In effect; the camera could broadcast to the PC (over a Network) 24hrs a day, 7 days a week). Then one only needs finding software to 'record' the incoming images; according to your schedule. These cameras, of course, don't use internal memory for the recording. I cannot recommend any particular model, but there is a good choice at Network cameras, IP cameras, security cameras, surveillance cameras | Axis Communications