Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't get my footage off my camera!!!

1. Default I can't get my footage off my camera!!!

mornin gurus.

I've got a Panasonic camcorder (cassette one) and, as title suggests, I've got a problem.

The battery charges fine. The camera works fine. But when I want to plug the camcorder into a tv or a laptop to get footage off of cassette I can't. The leads that have to go into the camcorder are where the battery is attached. So to link the cam to a tv or laptop, you have to plug your battery charger to the mains and the charger to the camera, then the camera to your output. Thing is, as soon as I put the battery in the charger and connect the charger to the camera, the power is lost! Meaning I cannot view (or remove from tape) anything.

I hope this kind of makes sense to somebody! So anyone, please (as I have my little un's panto coming up!), how do I either get the footage off the cassettes (a different method) or how do I get my charger fixed (I'm assuming thats what the problem is..?). I've bought a 'new' charger off ebay for 30 but it failed to work too so sent back.

Please advise..

many thanks for reading..

J

2. Default

Its a Panasonic NV GS80 DV camera if that helps anyone..

ta

J

This was not a good design by Panasonic. But if you connect the mains adaptor to your camera it should power it. You don't need to have the battery in the charger when doing this.

4. Default

thanks for the reply mid blue, Yes, I shouldn't need to attach the battery here.

Would you say its the charger then? How else can I get the footage off the cassette..? Buy another dvcam just to upload the footage..?

thanks again,

J

There should be a lead that plugs into the battery charger and then into the camera. This will power your camera while you capture the footage onto a computer from the camera tape. If that is not working then you could have a faulty lead.

6. Default

Faulty lead - right. I try tonight to get an item name/number for it and try to find a replacement. thanks Blue.

J

If you put the battery in the charger, then I assume the charger will charge the battery instead of feeding power to the cam. So take the battery out of the charger when the charger is connected to the cam.

Panasonic chargers don't work like that normally, as far as I know they will charge the battery but if you then plug the charger extention into the camera to power it, the battery stops charging.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    If you put the battery in the charger, then I assume the charger will charge the battery instead of feeding power to the cam. So take the battery out of the charger when the charger is connected to the cam.

I've tried that Swoopie thanks but no avail - I'll get a replacement lead from fleaBay and see how that goes.. I've already tried another charger too - but sent it back fearing it wasn't working either..

IS there no other way I can get my cassette footage off the cassette without buying a dvd recorder..?

cheers

J

hi all
    i have just got a pv-gs120
    the manual states you cannot charge the battery and power the cam at the same time.

midnight blue is right just tried it and charge light goes out when you plug the camera lead in and yes it does power the camera.

could you not try using the battery to power the cam to get your vid off till you can sort it?
    otherwise agree, it may well be the power lead they (all sorts) are prone to breaking close to one of the plugs.
    if you have a multimeter its easy to check, a digital one doesn't even need to be connected the right way round

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast