Thread: Case study: a wedding montage

Blog Entries

Default Case study: a wedding montage

This has to be my favourite wedding video of the moment (forgive me if I've posted before). No flashy effects, it just captures the "moments", and just as importantly has two stars as bride and groom. Although the B&G appeared to be naturals, the operators had to be there to catch those moments and piece them all together. Just a fantastic production in my opinion.

I nearly started filling up at 4:28, just look at the father of the brides eyes. I guess you have to have a daughter to know what it really means. I love the way that it's put together in a none linier way but works so well.

Very, very nice. This style of wedding production with loads of reveals and edited in reverse - Ceremony, then look backs, has been very popular for a lot of years in the states and also taken up by many UK operators. It always helps when there's a very glamorous couple and location.
    Add a blistering soundtrack and it's pretty failproof.
    My only arghh moment was when the bride and her father had to squeeze past the knob of a tog who was blocking their path down the aisle.
    Maybe left in the edit on purpose to remind everyone of the togs performance on the day

If I was being really picky, there's more than a few very shaky camera moves and poor continuity jumps. It doesn't however take away from it as a very good piece with a great mix of small DOF, used in small doses these really stand out against the large DOF stuff.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

I think the variety of shots, and the appropriate use of those shots, is what makes it a winner for me. I'm as guilty as anyone of having a current "darling" filming or editing technique, which invariably results in overuse. Or more to the point, is used purely for the sake of being used. I remember, for example, whipping out the glidecam on a few too many occassions. Knowing when to use techniques is perhaps just as important as knowing how!

The one thing I'm always uncomfortable with is the music. We've been through this so many times on these forums, but it always frustrates me that our videos owe so much to the soundtrack. How often are you, for example, asked what the music is to one of your videos? Now I always fool myself into thinking that I "selected" the music to accompany the video, and the music "enhances" the video. But that probably does a huge discredit to the musicians!

Bang on Marc. I advise everyone, clients and professionals, who rave about a certain style, to turn their sound off altogether. Many are mesmerised, not as they 1st think, by the video. It's the music that grips the emotions.
    There's a world of difference when the sounds off and you're concentrating purely on the visuals. This, as I see it, is the true mark of great filming and editing.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    it just captures the "moments", .... the operators had to be there to catch those moments.
    Personally, I didn't like the zooms or the handheld look (this looks worse, the higher the quality of the video) and some of the compositions looked a bit off (in particular one cameraman seems to have an aversion to the tops of heads) but key for me are the two related comments I've quoted above.
    Tim