Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started.........HELP!!!!

Default Getting Started.........HELP!!!!

Hi, I am very new to this and about to film my first ever wedding, I have done filming before and have a degree in Media production (television and radio). I have decided to make some use of this degree. I have a video camera, tripod and a digital camera (second camera until can afford new video camera), I do however have a few questions:

1) What other equipment would be recommend I get?

2)I am thinking of live streaming parts of the wedding, however not sure best way to do this, any suggestions?

3)Where is best to advertise? I am based in the North East of England, South Shields

Thanks now to anyone who can help me

Your 1st wedding and you're thinking about live streaming it too?!**
    Don't even think about that until you've done at least a dozen otherwise you'll be passing out through stress.
    I'm sure you're confident that your media degree will be all the experience you'll need to swan around demonstrating your technical prowess during the day . . . but it won't.
    Come post again when you've filmed and edited your 1st wedding. You'll soon notice, there are huge gaps in continuity that many cover up with a dissolve thinking that's good enough. . . . It ain't! Not if you intend to still be here in 5 years anyway. Clients are media savvy too and notice these things.
    A wedding will test your anticipation skills to the max. Regular colour balancing, manual focus and iris control and that's apart from the inevitable procedure changes.
    Requesting advance notice of intended, unfolding events, you will be very lucky to be in the right place to get them all. This will come after about a dozen weddings and even then you'll need the eyes of an eagle and the wits of an owl.
    Extra equipment = A radio mic for the ceremony and speeches.(ok some will use Zoom audio recorders, placed somewhere discreet)
    Camera lights for the 1st dance as these are usually held in a windowless cave.
    Best advertising = Your last wedding is usually the best - 2nd = a good website 3rd = a high class wedding show.
    Cheap wedding shows bring in cheap clients and it takes many years to move away from this market up to top class clients who have the means to finance a top class video.

I wish you luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks for that, I am not just thinking my degree is going to mean I going to be mint, I understand this will be a huge challenge to me even with my degree. The live streaming is an idea i am looking into offering people after much research.

Sorry to be blunt! But the times I've seen " I've got a video camera and I'm going to do weddings" posted is mind boggling.
    Many see it as a get rich quick scheme and jump in with both feet, in the process getting many professionals a bad name by their inept and naive behaviour. Especially in Churches.
    Streaming? I'd research again. In 10 years I've only been asked once about this add on. You'd probably need an operator who also knows his onions and he'd need to be dedicated to this one task.
    After 300 weddings We decided to produce SDEs (Same Day Edits) Tried one for free, then booked a few at our normal rate. Despite our many years of experience, the 1st few were literally death defying pressure. If you are considering making a living at this, or If you are stress bound, don't try anything 'outside of the box' until you have absorbed the wedding day procedures into your soul.
    Still happy to help if you're serious though
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

This is why I always say I don't do weddings. BUT I've been ask by a good friend to do a freebee that would otherwise note be filmed. Along with the obvious caveats of "you understand this is not going to be as good as a professional" etc.... They still want it done. I'm already having cold sweats thinking about doing it and it's not until next year. This, in my opinion is the correct view point that a first timer of videoing wedding should be.

With that correct estimation of things, then think about doing wedding videos for a living. BUT only after doing extensive research on how to do it properly.

Blog Entries

Call me Mr Thicky - but surely anyone keen enough to watch live streaming would be at the event anyway? I honestly have no idea why this even seems like a good idea.... apart from someone sat at the back of the church who wants to watch the close ups on their iphone....

Hi Andy - Not sure my 'wedding equipment tips' have been helpful or not, but the streaming is usually for family/friends in far flung places who can watch the ceremony/day on t'internet without leaving their armchair.

It's funny how many enter the wedding forum with 'I've just invented the wheel'. Then when honest, black and white advice is offered, they flounce off without either taking up the torch and making their mark or wringing the towel dry on the advice front.
    I guess this one, who just happened to mention 'my degree' twice in each post, was miffed because these honourable accreditations don't really swing it in this real world and I just happened to be the one to point it out.
    Damned if we offer advice and damned if we don't

Thanks for the advice, i would to point out a few things however.

I was only asking about live streaming as it seemed an interesting direction to go at some point in the future. And I was only going to offer it to those people who have family or friends who can't make the wedding due to where they live.

My degree was only mentioned to show that i have some background knowledge in filming, and I am not just someone who has a camera and thought it would be something to try for the hell of it. I have done filming of a few local scout events which had to be filmed from friday to sunday and have the finished product ready to show on the sunday to an audience of 300+ people. Therefore I am not just wanting to film weddings cos it sounds easy.

I like how because my degree was mentioned that you told me to go off film a wedding and then come back while offering some advice, seemed like a little bit of a back handed piece of advice.

I would just like to finish by saying I am grateful of any advice given by you lot

Glad you've returned! Well, filming a scouting event under pressure eh. It's a good start, but let's be straight (even though you insist on mentioning your degree twice every time you post) I haven't 'told' you to do anything. My advice, which would certainly make life easier(audiowise) on a wedding day and tips for getting the best business doesn't seem to have inspired you to enquire any deeper.
    Your only concern seems to be a dig at 'us lot' for daring to offer advice to you. I take it your last post is another grand flounce
    (If not, discuss taking your wedding video strategy further and I'll believe your good intentions.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast