Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a Learner out.

Default Help a Learner out.

Hello,

I recently have been very interested in Cinematography and anything that has to do with video/photography.

My friends and I got the idea to make a small film this winter/spring of us snowboarding and a possible short vacation. Currently all I own is a small Canon Vixia HF M30 camcorder.

It takes nice video, there is just a lack of control. I feel like I could do much better with something more professional. I've been seeing more and more people using cameras now to make videos. Like a Canon 5D. Does anyone else recommend this? It seems to be a good idea. Or would something like a Panasonic AG-HMC150 be better suited for what I want to do?

Thank you

That's not an easy question anyone else can answer as we don't know you as well as you do. The Canon 5D can give you stunning shots, if you know how to use it but it's not really the sort of camera that would be good for filming snowboarding. The Panasonic AG-HMC150 is a lot of money but a lot of money buys a lot of camera and this is a lot of camera would a big camera like that be impractical to take on vacation ? Would your inexperience with cameras prevent you from getting the best out of it ? See the problem, we don't know you, so only you can say what camera is best for you. I can say both cameras are great but I can't say either are right for you.

Sorry if that's not really any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That's not an easy question anyone else can answer as we don't know you as well as you do. The Canon 5D can give you stunning shots, if you know how to use it but it's not really the sort of camera that would be good for filming snowboarding. The Panasonic AG-HMC150 is a lot of money but a lot of money buys a lot of camera and this is a lot of camera would a big camera like that be impractical to take on vacation ? Would your inexperience with cameras prevent you from getting the best out of it ? See the problem, we don't know you, so only you can say what camera is best for you. I can say both cameras are great but I can't say either are right for you.

Sorry if that's not really any help.

Oh no thank you for the reply.

I understand where you are coming from. I am in now way a professional but I have taken a few photography classes and am a very quick learner. I can adapt to whichever camera/camcorder I am using. I know enough about cameras and such to use them properly. As for traveling size isn't much of a problem I have a large Burton backpack for carrying. Only reason I mention the 5D is because of a short film called "I love my friends" all shot on a 5D.

Basically I'm looking for a camera that gives me good control over what I'm filming but not 6 grand because I am a poor college student haha.
    Last edited by agrider25; 11-21-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Have a look at the GH1, its not bad value
    Looking at a comparison of the two right now.

Thank you

6. Default

I'm more on the photography side and from magazines and reviews I've read the 5D's are really good at HD video, probably a good plan to get one of those so you dont need to lug your camcorder about as well. One unit for film making and photography.

I wish I had got a cannon instead of my Sony A380 some times for the movie side of things

Quote Originally Posted by TheComputerSaint View Post
    I'm more on the photography side and from magazines and reviews I've read the 5D's are really good at HD video, probably a good plan to get one of those so you dont need to lug your camcorder about as well. One unit for film making and photography.

I wish I had got a cannon instead of my Sony A380 some times for the movie side of things
    Currently I am researching between the Canon 60D because it is cheaper has the same video capabilities but also has a swivel screen. Along with that I am looking into the GH2. It is not for sale in america yet, but people are saying it is rather promising and contends with or is even better than the 60D.

One major concern with a DSLR camera is that you'll need several lenses for it which can really add up dollar wise. I would suggest you take a gander through Phil Bloom's blog and website. He shoots almost nothong but DSLR these days and reviews a lot of cameras, including the new Panasonic AF100 which is the first DSLR camcorder. Anyhow, look to the right where it says "blog categories", and you'll see some DSLR links that have some very interesting info. I don't think the obsession with filming using DSLR cameras will last, because DSLR camcorders will quickly replace them in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    One major concern with a DSLR camera is that you'll need several lenses for it which can really add up dollar wise. I would suggest you take a gander through Phil Bloom's blog and website. He shoots almost nothong but DSLR these days and reviews a lot of cameras, including the new Panasonic AF100 which is the first DSLR camcorder. Anyhow, look to the right where it says "blog categories", and you'll see some DSLR links that have some very interesting info. I don't think the obsession with filming using DSLR cameras will last, because DSLR camcorders will quickly replace them in the near future.
    One of the main reasons I have not purchased one yet is because of the need for lenses. However, that is also the reason I am thinking an HDSLR would be a good choice because of the options it gives me at the price point. I can not afford anything too serious that is why I looked to the 60D and GH2

10. Default

Check out the Canon Rebel T2i ( 550D ) Very reasonable...excellent quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast