Thread: need cheep HD camcorder - wide lens - good low light - small & light

Default need cheep HD camcorder - wide lens - good low light - small & light

HI everyone,

I need to buy a cheep HD camcorder that is light and small, has the widest possible lens for the money, and is ok in poor indoor light. Must be remote controlled, and have a screen that can turn around to enable self filming. Also would ve great if it was recording on SD cards.

I've already tested a sony bloggie MHS-CM5 but the lens was too long and was poor in low light.

My budget is 200 UK sterling.

I know im asking for a lot, but what would you suggest?

The lens being wide is a very important factor.

Thanks
    Dave

Look for a used Canon HV-20. You can find them used pretty cheap sometimes. It does pretty well in low light because it has a fairly good size CMOS chip. Shoots really nice video too.

Thanks Swoopie,

I bought a JVC HM-300 yesterday, simply because it has a 37mm thread and i can put a wide lens to it, but it isn't great in low light.
    Im still looking for a better option, no possibly with a 37mm thread to attach a wide lens.

If anyone else knows a perfect solution.

Thanks
    Dave

Why 37mm? Do you already have a wide angle lens that size? That's pretty small and it will only fit over a small lens. It's hard to do well in low light with a lens that small. The HV20 has a 43mm lens. That's still small, but not terrible. The large CMOS sensor makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Why 37mm? Do you already have a wide angle lens that size? That's pretty small and it will only fit over a small lens. It's hard to do well in low light with a lens that small. The HV20 has a 43mm lens. That's still small, but not terrible. The large CMOS sensor makes up for it.
    Thanks again,

Yes i already have a wide and fish eye with a 37mm thread.

I have been looking at reviews of the go pro hero HD, and this looks pretty cool.
    I need something small, wide and cheep.