Thread: how much can you re-render video and maintain the same quality?

Default how much can you re-render video and maintain the same quality?

basically if you take a wmv 11 file and re-render it at the same settings/resolution/framerate is there going to be any drop in picture quality? Is there any way to avoid this?

This is both a subjective and technical thing. I've re rendered video a couple of time and found no real noticeable loss in quality. I've also render a video once and found it not very good quality. It also so depends on the codec and settings. If you use a lossless uncompressed .avi this is supposed to copy the image pixel for pixel. Some codecs work better than others. I once rendered a DV .avi into a mpeg2 format and thought it looked better as it altered the contrast a bit and seemed to sharpen up the image to my eyes. Another thing you have to think about is what you will be viewing the final video on. Some formats look better on TVs and some on computer screens. This is really a vast subject which I'm only just beginning to learn about. Don't be afraid to experiment, the best thing to do is try it and see what you think.

There is an option in Vegas to not re render the bits of a video that have not been altered when editing this would be the best way to maintain the best quality.

I'm sure the technical purist will say every render reduces the image quality which I'm sure is technically correct but be your own judge.

this is something i'm experimenting with at the moment. some good info here ... Adobe Forums: CS4: Best lossless HD format from AVCHD?

later, ill be posting a video that's been "mashed" a couple of times.