Thread: Video of Fire Brigades Uinion rally.Feedback please..thank you.

Default Video of Fire Brigades Uinion rally.Feedback please..thank you.

Hi guys

This is a video I shot for the FBU this week.

Shot with a Sony Z1e and edited with Sony Vegas.

Any feedback good or bad would be great as I want to improve the quality of my films.

Thanks

The whole this is a bit blue as though you didn't do a white balance, You can correct this in Vegas. If you have the Pro version 9e there is a white balance plug in which will handle this easily. If you don't have this plug in (FX) then you will have to use colour correction and do it with a little more fiddling but it's still fairly easy to fix. Just look for something white in the image and adjust it to look white like the text and not a blue tint.

Yes I did not white balance the camera which is a stupid mistake that I realised after the event.

The lighting was poor due to it being such a dark day and the fact that it took place under a over hang.Any sudgestions to help with that problem.

Once you have corrected the white balance as I described above, I'm not sure the lighting will matter to much as it gives it that live documenty feel.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing you had a straightforward on-camera mic. You really need to eliminate more of the ambient sound when recording your interviewees - that is the content of your video so it's crucial this comes across.

Given the proximity of the camera to the interviewee, the fact that the camera is pointing directly at the interviewee and the fact that the only sound you want to pick up is the interviewee, a camera mounted directional mic would do the job. If any of the above were not true, you'd need a lav (tie clip), hand held, or boom mic to get close to the source.
    You also could do wioth a wind-gag (or may be you had one, but the wind was just too great) .

All credit for doing this. Getting live footage/interviews on the spot is hard enough work without having to remember things like lighting, exposure, white balance, sound: which is probably why we don't see much in the way of amateur current affairs stuff (local and national). Where we do see it, it tends to be part of a campaign rather than straighforward reporting. I appreciate that there's no doubt where your sympathies lie, but you have covered this as a factual report, rather than preaching to your audience. I think this makes it stronger.

My view is that if you keep at this, one day you're going to get the quote from someone that the big boys missed and everyoine is going to want. It's not the money, it's the satisfaction.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm guessing you had a straightforward on-camera mic. You really need to eliminate more of the ambient sound when recording your interviewees - that is the content of your video so it's crucial this comes across.

Given the proximity of the camera to the interviewee, the fact that the camera is pointing directly at the interviewee and the fact that the only sound you want to pick up is the interviewee, a camera mounted directional mic would do the job. If any of the above were not true, you'd need a lav (tie clip), hand held, or boom mic to get close to the source.
    You also could do wioth a wind-gag (or may be you had one, but the wind was just too great) .

All credit for doing this. Getting live footage/interviews on the spot is hard enough work without having to remember things like lighting, exposure, white balance, sound: which is probably why we don't see much in the way of amateur current affairs stuff (local and national). Where we do see it, it tends to be part of a campaign rather than straighforward reporting. I appreciate that there's no doubt where your sympathies lie, but you have covered this as a factual report, rather than preaching to your audience. I think this makes it stronger.

My view is that if you keep at this, one day you're going to get the quote from someone that the big boys missed and everyoine is going to want. It's not the money, it's the satisfaction.
    Thanks for the helpfull feedback.

I guessed that sound was going to be a problem but did not have the finances to get an external mic.Thats next on my list of things to get.

The lighting was a nightmare due to it being such a dark day and the rally was under a shelter that blocked out what little light there was.

Thanks again