Thread: No Sound In Captured AVI File from ATI AIW Card

Default No Sound In Captured AVI File from ATI AIW Card

Hello...
    I'm working on a project that requires me to capture an old video from a VCR tape. I have a VCR hooked up to my ATI All In WOnder RADEON card and have imported the video as an uncompressed AVI file, suitable for editing. When I play the AVI with Windows Media Player, the video and sound play fine. When I import the AVI into Premier Pro 1.5, I get the video, but no sound. The sound does show up in the Timeline as an audio track seperate from the video, though nothing can be heard. The rest of the audio tracks play fine. The sound was captured at 48000 Hz, 16 bit stereo, and PCM format. I've tried a few other variations, but no luck there either.
    Any help is greatly appreciate as importing this movie is the absolute final piece of this project.

Thanks!

Hey... Just an update for you guys that might help me diagnose my problem.

WHen I play the clip in the left panel of the Monitor window, it plays the audio fine - it's only when I attempt to play it as part of the compete movie when there is no audio.

Also, when I export to DVD, the audio does not play on the DVD.

Thanks again!

Just thinking out loud. The AVI file is clearly ok as you can play it and the sound is ok. It's only when the clip is on the timeline that you have problems. So the problem is in you project (as such) and not the source.

Maybe you have got the volume down very low in that audio track. Or maybe the audio track is actually turned off. No idea why it might default this way but worth double checking.

Also, you may want to check that you have the audio set to play back where you want it. Click on the little arrowy thing top right corner of the right hand monitor to check what you've selected to output audio to: if it's set to play back on the DV device, you probably won't hear anything from your speakers.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Hey guys...
    Thanks for responding so quick.

I checked the track volume in Audio Mixer and increased it a bit, but with no results. Also, the track doesn't appear to be muted.

Also, I checked under Playback Settings and all options are set to output on audio hardware.

Just for kicks, I also created a new project and imported the clips into there, with the same result. I've even tried capturing a few different times to see if something was going wrong there.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again for your time.

Blog Entries

You're not alone...

This is a problem I've been trying to solve myself. I've even contacted Adobe (given them an ear-bending at video forum) and they've promissed to get back to me... I'm still waiting.

Looking at other video editing forums on the net, there are quite a few of us who have come up against this, and as yet, I haven't found an understandable answer. The worst end to a thread, after three pages of suggestions (all sensible ones like those above) ends with the poster saying: "It's Okay guys, I've found the answer somewhere else." And that's it! he doesn't tell the rest of us, or give a clue as to why we're so stupid!

If you find out... please let me know!

I've also raised the issue before of not having sound when I'm 'capturing' but not actually recording: the sound doesn't kick in till I hit the little red button...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

It's OK guys... I found the answer somewhere else...

JUST KIDDING!
    Well, I did find the answer. Ends up that even though I had an AVI file, I didn't have a DV AVI file - which is what works best with Premiere Pro. I downloaded a handy utility called VirtualDub, found a tutorial on videohelp.com to convert AVI to DV, put in the settings the tutorial suggested and voila... I had myself a DVI AVI that coul be imported into Pemiere Pro with audio AND video. I don't know why this works, especially since the tutorial only modified the video properties of my original AVI, but it does work. The audio was slightly desynched, but VirtualDub also includes options to help synch it up.