Thread: In need of configuration help

Question In need of configuration help

First of all I want to say "Hello!" because I am new on videoforums and this is my first post.
    Anyways, getting to the thing... I thought for a while of changing my PC and buying one that's more powerful and that's suitable for standard/HD video editing. From the beginning I knew I want a PC instead of a Mac. I looked for something that's not very expensive because video editing it's just a hobby so I don't want to put high amounts of money in it. Because these are lost money... So I found one that, from my point of view, it's perfect for what i need. It's called Workstation HP Z200 and it's configuration sounds very powerful. "Intel® CoreTM i5-680 3.6GHz, 8GB, 1TB, ATI FirePro V4800 1GB, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional"In euro it's price is 1250. So that's the maximum amount of money I can spend on it... 1k-1,2k.
    So...my question is: In this amount of money, is there any PC better than this (good on video editing, of course)? Thanks for the help

Try to get something with an i7 CPU if you can LIKE THIS or THIS

Is there any problem with the i5? I mean it has problems or something, or i7 is just better. And if I buy that one I've wrote about in my first do you think it's good? Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Is there any problem with the i5? I mean it has problems or something, or i7 is just better. And if I buy that one I've wrote about in my first do you think it's good? Thanks for the answer.
    It's not there is anything wrong with the i5 as you say the i7 is better. Remember the i5 and the i7 is just a name for a series of chips, generally the bigger the number the more powerful the chip. When it comes to editing HD footage the more powerful the processor the better or easier it will be. I think you should be able to get a better machine for your budget.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-17-2010 at 05:51 PM.

I understand, thank you for your suport. I think I will buy the HP and if the i5 is not good enough I'll make an update to an i7. Will see!

Blog Entries

But of course it's not as simple as that.
    The i5-600 series are dual core processors with hyperthreading, turbo boost and on-die graphics and perform roughly on a par with Core 2 Quads
    The i5-700 series are quad core processors without hyperthreading, but with turbo boost and perform on a par or better than High End core 2 quads
    The i7-800 series are quad core processors with hyperthreading and turbo boost
    All the above fit into the (Cheaper) socket 1156 motherboards
    The i7-900 series are quad core with hyperthreading and turbo boost but require socket 1366 motherboards
    I think only the i7-900 series support triple channel memory whereas the others support dual channel.

This information gleaned from Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: Intel's Processors Explained (read both pages) because I can't remember all this stuff nowadays!

Personally I suspect the small amount of advantage gained by running a i7 920 over an i5 750 would be more than offset by the additional cost of CPU and mobo and the greater power consumption. With the i7 - 800 series the distinction becomes more blurred.

I'm guessing it all depends how many cores your application will make use of when multi-threading.

Anyone know how many cores Vegas uses?
    Tim

That's what I was trying but failed to say. Thanks Tim.