Default "Flickering" between fade transitions in Movie Studio 9 Platinum

A sample of the flickering problem:

My humble system:
    Win XP w. Service Pack3
    Athlon Dual Core 2.1GHz
    3G RAM
    Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum

Me: New to video editing

So this flickering seems to occur only when clips "overlap" each other from fade in and fade outs. If I render a long stretch of footage w/o the fades the flickers stop occuring.

Flickers still occur even when I render to standard definition so I don't think that its just my computer not being able to cope w. HD.

The original video was shot on a GoPro HD Hero camera which uses MPEG-4 H.264. I then converted it to AVI using MP4Cam2AVI as recommended in a GoPro forum- apparently because AVI is easier to work w. in Vegas than MP4. This software "swaps" MPEG4 and AVI containers and doesn't transcode the actual video.

The flickering does not occur on the original MPEG-4 footage or the converted AVI footage that I used as a source file.

Any ideas?

Edit: I am rendering to WMV
    Last edited by SDSU; 11-16-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Your overlap is identifying a mismatch of framerate - somewhere.

I'd start over and simply import the footage directly into Vegas; match the Project Settings to the Media and render to your delivery format. I don't know your Vegas but I can use blend in Project settings to blend frames. You may want to consider this too.

Did state exactly/detail what template you are rendering to?

Bottom line, you have a mismatch of frame rates that are apparent in your Project Settings and OR are being highlighted when you are rendering. Either way, you'll need to carry on auditing your workflow to identify just exactly where this is occurring. If I didn't know any better it also has the appearance of a switching in FIELD order, going from Lower Field First to Upper Field First. Do you have any field instructions being introduced?

I'd start over, and import the media and set the project to match the media. You do have something going awry.

Welcome back Grazie, you have been missed.

Thanks for the info and sorry about taking so long to reply. Work decided to get busy without my authorization.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Your overlap is identifying a mismatch of framerate - somewhere.

I'd start over and simply import the footage directly into Vegas; match the Project Settings to the Media and render to your delivery format. I don't know your Vegas but I can use blend in Project settings to blend frames. You may want to consider this too.
    Yeah I'm about ready to start over. I went back and quickly imported the original MPEG4 format and rendered a snippet. No flickering when working w. this format. Its just harder to edit w. the staggering preview that is produced.

I did notice that Vegas lists the MPEG4 files as 1280x960x32 while it lists the AVI files as 1280x960x24. Both are listed as 29.970fps progressive. What, exactly, are the 24 and 32 numbers?

Did state exactly/detail what template you are rendering to?
    I tried a bunch of templates and settings incl. 30 and 25fps, upper field first, lower field first, none (progressive), blend fields, interpolate fields, different resolutions, etc. All of them flickered.

As with everything DIGITAL, we are dealing with ONES (1) and ZEROS (0). We have to convert this great and wonderful ANALOGUE World to either a 1 or a 0. Samples of this real World are taking and allocated a series of 1s and 0s and this process is referred to as Sampling. *This is how Stuff is recorded/captured/synthesised and ultimately when it comes to anything non-analogue (real film and audio) is delivered - DVDs, INTERNET etc etc. Now these numbers you refer to are the number of Slices or AUDIO BIT DEPTH, that the audio is being sliced into for sampling.

For example, 16 audio bit depth, which is often written as 16-bit, allows/gives/provides us with 65,536 levels of audio depth - these are slices being sampled and converted to these all important 1s and 0s. *24-bit gives you 16,777,216 slices. When we record these numbers we can sample/convert the audio signal in several depths of sampling to get those 1s and 0s. *And again, here the 24 and 32 numbers refer to the Audio Bit depth - we are sampling at EITHER 24 bit depth OR 32 bit depth sampling. Consequently the greater the depth, the better the quality, and usefully the greater the options for Audio fidelity and manipulation and consequently the higher BIT RATE we can utilise - and the BIT RATE refers to the number of cycles per second that same BIT DEPTH is sampled. And typically we can have a vast array of BIT RATES. For the majority of work I do it revolves around 44 or 48 bit rates.*

So to recap 24 and 32 relates to the AUDIO BIT DEPTH and should not be confused with AUDIO BIT RATES.*

Now ALL of this has some bearing on your original question in so much as you really need to set your Project Settings to reflect your Media Content. Do this and Vegas gets to play nicely with your media. Not setting your project to reflect your Media on the timeline will force Vegas to continually need to keep adjusting and working harder to serve up a Preview that is fine and dandy. If you have a setting within Vegas that is also affecting your Render choices, this too can have a bearing.

Are you starting to get my drift here?

Unlike good ole DV, where the format was nailed down tight many years ago, the new flavours of MPEG ( not so much) but now MP4, especially, have a plethora of formats, and until I'm corrected here, there is not the static target that DV *provides. This is why I ALSO do an interim convert away from any MP4 I get to DV-avi and edit in that - PERIOD!!!

So, again, set your Project up to reflect your Media. As you are asking what these numbers mean, kinda indicates you haven't, as yet delved into the audio part. *Please do try this and see if Vegas plays better. As I said, all of this refers to audio, hence why then flickering - which is a video concern? Well, optimising Vegas, for the media you are working with may just give Vegas a better run at things, generally. Requiring Vegas to spend time attempting to change, alter your Preview to accommodate a squiffy setting may have just been enough to throw a Preview/render outcome. I've had all types of audio anomalies emerge from my speakers when I've not matched my audio-bit rate to my Project settings, rangings from squeaks, scratches to low level FARTS!*

I hope some of this makes enough sense for you, and that at least it will provide you with enough confidence to go forward and at experiment with "other" options.*

Blog Entries

here the 24 and 32 numbers refer to the Audio Bit depth
    Are you sure, Grazie? I thought it was the colour bit depth (I'm assuming SDSU is right clicking on the media to get these properties and looking at the description of the video stream).

Mixing streams of different colour depth is is even more likely to have the effect you describe, so your argument is enhanced.
    Tim

What a total Numptie I am!?!

And yes, same holds for Colour Bit Depth too. I got so focussed on the Audio that I missed the bleedin' obvious, and potentially, possibly more relevant (lol), Colour Bit Depth re-sampling that would need to go on. (Grazie self-thwacks head in admonishment). What does our friend have? What IS that part of the wide MP4 standards?

So, and again, do try and match Project to Media AND make sure you render using the settings of your project. OR move the whole shabang over to AVI.

PS: I do prefer the new look of the Forum here.

Blog Entries

What a total Numptie I am!?!
    That brought a smile to my face - I haven't heard that word for a god few years! And don't worry about it, Grazie "numptiness" affects all of us from time to time.
    Tim

I thought the use of the word shabang was quite good.