Thread: Video virgin

Default Video virgin

: Hi I am brand new to editing I would like info on which softwear to buy and also want to print stills from my movie is there a good and reasonable product on the market

Thanks any info appriciated [/b]

Hi Donkey. welcome aboard

My tip would be Media100, a wonderful realtime online editing system ( http://www.media100.com/Media100HD.asp ) but slightly prohibitive at $60,000 and upwards - unfortunately cannot advise on its capability to capture stills fit for printing. My advice would be to perhaps use the search function on this site to find something slightly less complicated and certainly cheaper if you are new to editing before jumping head first in

Adobe Premiere Elements is a good place to start.

4. Default

MovieMaker 2.0 it's free and very basic. That's how I learned. It comes with Windows XP.

printing stills? Pretty much any app will let you fish out individual frames and save them as images. Virtualdub, as usual, will do this.

as for what to buy, don't buy anything. use moviemaker like chris says. Once you become aware of its shortcomings, it's time to look at other apps. Download trials, etc, and see what suits you best. then have a good look about for the best price.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

6. Default

Yes download trials! That is huge because everyone has a different taste and feel for a program.

I'd go for either Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio 9 or Ulead Video Studio 8. They're all about 50 - 60 and very capable of producing great quality home movies. You could download free trials from their respective websites and see which one suits you best. I wouldn't spend too long on the trials though, as usually a lot of the best features (and nessessary ones) are missing!

I'd try Movie Maker for maybe a day or two but not more than that. The final quality isn't great and it struggles with large files, and oh, being Microsoft it doesn't allow any exporting of final movies to MPEG format (which you are bound to want to do further on down the road!)

As already said, practically all editing software allows you to capture stills from digital footage, but beware that the quality isn't anywhere near as good as a digital still camara!

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Boy

As already said, practically all editing software allows you to capture stills from digital footage, but beware that the quality isn't anywhere near as good as a digital still camara!

Hope this helps!
    I dunno, i've seen some bad stills cameras.

You're absolutely right though, although a dvcam might do stills, it'll be pretty bad quality. no flash, and bad performance in low light, and terribly small resolution will all add to the rubbishity (it's a word now, ok? ruh-bi-shitty) of dvcam stills.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

another VERY EASY but lots of features is...

CYBERLINK POWERDIRECTOR 3.0

its got a lot that premiere has, but the interface is self explantary to use, unlike adobe programs where you need to dig to find certain effects or filters.

(before i get flamed, by saying it has a lot that premiere does im reffering to what premiere could offer a begginer, which isn't much more, but most likly less!)

FREE TRIAL AVAILABLE ON THEIR HOME PAGE!!!