Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Excerpt From a Documentary

Default Short Excerpt From a Documentary

This is from about 25 or 30 minutes into the movie. (The sound is much better at 480p). There may be some places where panning on photos is a little jerky. That was a fault in the old version of Premier I used. The movie is done and has been out for over a year. It was a bit of a religious excercise for me, so I gave the DVD away at no charge to my YouTube subscribers and gave them permission to copy it for friends and show it without charge at their church or wherever. I've so far given out over a hundred DVDs, and sold another hundred of a book I wrote that was sort of a companion piece.

The entire film can be seen for free at YouTube if you're a McDonald fan. I had to upload it in eight parts. The playlist is available here: The Mystical World of George MacDonald

The research meant reading and re-reading his books, letters, and books by other researchers over a year. The fun part was writing and recording the music score.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-15-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Hi there,

I am no expert, and I had no interest in the subject matter, so please bear that in mind when I say that for me, this was a podcast / audiobook.

There was no video in it, and the pictures added very little to the audio. The audio was good though, and if I were interested in George MacDonald, I would listen to this podcast.

It's a glorified slideshow... just like nearly every film Ken Burns has ever made. No more, no less. I don't know what a Podcast is and have no interest in finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    It's a glorified slideshow... just like nearly every film Ken Burns has ever made. No more, no less. I don't know what a Podcast is and have no interest in finding out.
    It is my understanding from my few months here, that videos posted in this section are here to be critiqued - I hope I didn't offend you? That certainly wasn't my intention.

P.S. A podcast is an audio only file that you can usually download from iTunes onto iPods, iPhones etc

Well Swoopie behind that silly name is a person of great intellect. You show great knowledge of your subject and communicate this in a smooth, controlled and balanced way. You did a great job composing and playing the guitar as the backing music as well. I find it hard to critique a video that doesn't exactly have any video in it but you used the images you had well and and proportionately.

Big thumbs up from me. AND a big well done on selling 100 copies of the DVD.

Actually I'm kind of slow on the uptake, but thanks.

There is some moving footage in the other parts of the movie, but very little. MacDonald died in 1905, and unfortunately he was never caught on film or audio either one. But there are serval photos to work with. During the segment of the film that dealt with his American Lecture tour during the 1870s, I found some footage of steamers at the Library of Congress that Edison had gotten on film and was able to use that. I also found an Edison cylinder of Edwin Booth (brother to John Wilkes Booth) and used that during a segment about the MacDonald family attending one of his performances. I used one other cylinder and just a small bit of footage I videotaped in a valley and a graveyard, but it was mostly panning on photos. It's not like I had some big budget for highering actors to do reinactments or anything. Maybe I'll be rich in another life!

Actually, I gave away copies of the DVD and sold the book. But hey, a dollar is a dollar any way you can get it when you're from the wrong side of the tracks.

"I hope I didn't offend you?"

Not at all. I was just stating what it was. I've always told everyone that it's a glorified slideshow. Often when dealing with older subject matter, panning around on photos is about all you can do aside from reinactments (which I couldn't afford). But I take comfort in the fact that most of Ken Burns' films have been made the same way, and most people seem to like them.

Podcasts? Well, I've got this thing called a radio. Good enough for me. I do watch a lot of internet TV, but have never gotten into internet radio or the Podcast thing. I've heard the term before but never really knew what it meant. It doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, although I did find an interesting download site with all of the radio shows Orsen Welles ever did that I listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Maybe I'll be rich in another life!
    You are a rich man now, may be not financially but that's not really important any way, just a means to and end.

Blog Entries

Forgive me for failing to take in very much of the visuals or the narration. I found the music rather enthralling. It had a much better sound than the voice over, and was much more lively (even though I could hear it was written to be understated) and thus kept taking my attention. I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing or what you intended - but I thought it was great!
    Tim

Swoopie, I would make this into an audio file that people could download and listen to. For me, the pictures added nothing much, but you obviously know your stuff and people will listen to the audio and your narration.

My guess, albeit from a distant and ignorant stand point, is that the reason you could sell the book is because it was full of what you know. The video is also, but it is is audio mascaraing as video. A good peice of work ... it's just not a video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast