Thread: Shooting in portrait mode - JVC HD GZ7

Default Shooting in portrait mode - JVC HD GZ7

Hi there
    complete newbee here! Anyone know if theres a special lenses or how i can shoot in portrait mode without turning the camera on its side? When i do it this way, the editing software always reduces quality.

Many thanks

I am curious, surprised and confused. Simply rotating the image (using editing software) should not reduce the quality.
    But, I suspect some software is more capable than others.
    If the SW thinks the footage is 1280*720; then simply rotating the image by 90 degrees may have (a) chop off part of the image, or (b) try to squeeze the 1280 pixels into it's new horizontal size of 720. That would certainly reduce the quality.
    Some software allows the User to choose the project size (e.g. 1280*1280). Then, a simple rotation should not affect the quality. However, the sofware must then be told to chop of the sides; and to export at the desired size (I guess 720*1280).

I have never done it, so I might just be talking gibberish.
    What software are you using?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have used Windows Movie Maker and VLC. Im sure theres much better, but like i said im a complete newbee!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    If the SW thinks the footage is 1280*720; then simply rotating the image by 90 degrees may have (a) chop off part of the image, or (b) try to squeeze the 1280 pixels into it's new horizontal size of 720. That would certainly reduce the quality.
    agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Some software allows the User to choose the project size (e.g. 1280*1280). Then, a simple rotation should not affect the quality. However, the sofware must then be told to chop of the sides; and to export at the desired size (I guess 720*1280).
    Unless you set the project size to 720*1080 . Tim hits the nail on the head here. Video is expected to be portrait, so software like WMM will expect your video to be in certain dimensions; the width is expected to be greater than the height. So although you turned your camera around, your software doesn't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Video is expected to be portrait, so software like WMM will expect your video to be in certain dimensions; the width is expected to be greater than the height. So although you turned your camera around, your software doesn't care!
    Don't you mean landscape.