Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon D7

1. Default Canon D7

I've been taking a closer look at the DSLR market specifically for shooting movie. I notice Pro's increasingly using stills cameras for advertising, pop video and according to a movie making friend, features.
    Here's something on a D7:

Any thoughts on the way things are going and the viability of DSLRs for video?

Philip Bloom really knows how to use this camera. It's not really about the camera, I think it's all about the lens. If you put the same lens on a "proper" video camera you would get as good, if not better results. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. I have a Sony VX9000 DVcam and the results on the 7D look far better, as they might on a camera with another fifteen years of development. I agree on the lens but as many video buffs are also still camera fans they'll have a reasonable collection of quality prime lenses and converters are readily available. I'm about to buy a new format and the latest generation DSLR appears to have a lot going for it as a movie format - I've always stuck to 35mm, 120 and 5 x 4" for still photography.

Looking at the previews inside here: DSLR Cinema: Crafting the Film Look with Video: Amazon.co.uk: Kurt Lancaster: Books DSLR looks good if presented in the way any quality video might be shot with tripods, tracks and dollys. Apologies if these are numpty questions and the debate has already been had but I'm returning to movie and am looking afresh what's out there.

These are very good points which I think will benefit any readers of this thread to bring up the pros and cons of switching to DSLR as their video camera. There is no doubt that you can get stunning images with a DSLR. The sound is another matter such as no XLR inputs but there are work arounds with lots of new products coming out all the time to improve the workability of using a DSLR to produce great videos.

Even the video camera producers are aware of this and have responded with new products to target the DSLR users, Panasonic has brought out the ag-af100 and Sony has a similar model coming out in January next year.

Good luck with you purchase and have fun filming.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Good luck with you purchase and have fun filming.
    Cheers. Apart from the sound the main problem appears to be the scaffolding you need to steady the DSLR and to pull focus. I won't be buying till the spring whatever.

Blog Entries

The DSLRs are already being superceded with Panasonic and Sony having proper camcorders in development which take 35mm lenses on a full sized chip. On display at IBC, it seems they have the quality of full HD (1080P as opposed to the 720P of DSLRs) and the control of a camcorder. Retailing at a proposed $5k, they'll blast the Canons out of the water I'm afraid.

Rob, Is that a different camera to the AF-100 or is it already AF-101 ?

8. Default

They're different markets surely? DSLRs are stills cameras that have developed HD movie for point and shooter's. If you're going for proper production values you'll have remote mics, someone monitoring sound and have a project serious enough to be bothering with a shoulder camera. DSLR seems more about capturing broadcast quality footage on the hoof, something that's (arguably) eluded the amateur market till now, a kind of all-round visual data gathering tool with the aesthetics that go with a hand held camera.

Someone sent to me footage yesterday from a Canon retailing at about 500 quid and it was remarkable. That's a pretty democratic price for near cinematic quality, with caveats for sound, though I manage with a Zoom H2 at 150 nicker. The downside as ever is enough post-production memory to match the ease of use of the camera. When editing can be done in camera, as it eventually will, video production will become unrecognisable.
    Last edited by colpepper; 11-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries

If I understood them correctly, the AF 101 should be out in the next few weeks but they're already working on a follow-up which has a full 35mm sized chip. Sony also claimed to have a camera in the offing which had a larger chip than the AF101 (which I fell in love with anyway).

The debate about "broadcast quality" goes on. If you get spectacular news footage on a mobile phone, it would be broadcast but many HD broadcasters now consider 1080p to be the benchmark for drama and high-end documentaries. The goalposts are constantly changing. As for "capturing broadcast quality on the hoof", I would dispute that you could do that with just a DSLR without supports, monitors, separate sound recording etc. The quality of the smaller cameras with HD video is astounding and certainly well up to a "reality" show, the D5/7 is also, in my opinion, up to hd television standards when used carefully but...

10. Default

Fair point. I edited in broadcast quality for want of a better word, 'exhibition' might be a better one. It's mainly about the versatility of prime lenses with wide apertures along with the HD factor that swings it subtly away from home movie look to serious, given the lighting and a competent DP/camera Op. The book link has an interesting anecdote about showing DSLR footage to George Lucas on a 40ft screen, which is light years from what amateur users have had access to till recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast