Thread: Video Compression Question - Loss?

Default Video Compression Question - Loss?

Hi all. I have been working with Premiere Pro and After Effects. Both are the most recent versions released, Windows platform.

I am capturing my miniDV footage from tape into Premiere Pro and then editing it in Premiere Pro until I am content. This leads me to my question.... when I go to export the video into .avi format with the intent of bringing the .avi into an After Effects composition, should I choose 'uncompressed' or 'Micrososoft DV' format? I know there are other formats but in this instance only .avi will do for me.

If I choose uncompressed I get an extremely large file - as to be expected, I understand this. But, since my original source was miniDV, is there any benefit to exporting as an uncompressed .avi? On the other hand, if I decide to export to Microsoft DV .avi, will that maintain the original 5:1 compression or will it attempt to re-compress it, resulting in poor quality?

Any advice? I know that recompressing a .jpg image will gradually degrade the quality - is miniDV the same way?

Blog Entries

Yes, you will see a deteriation in the quality of you output after several phases of encodes with DV (particularly with effects such as text).