Thread: File format question - AVI

Default File format question - AVI

Have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum on computer for 2 years. Had to reformat hard drive and just reinstalled it a short time ago and having a problem I've never had before. I can import AVI files into the program as project media, but it won't let me place them in the video tracks. One avi file is from my new Insignia video camera and the other is from my Rocketfish webcam. I will allow me to drop the Rocketfish AVI into an audio track and I can hear it, but it won't let me drop into the video tracks. The Insignia AVI it won't all me to drop anywhere. I don't think I ever had this problem previously, in fact I'm 99% sure it didn't. I can import and add a .wmv file without a problem. Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Almost certainly the codecs required for the avi files generated by your two devices are not installed on your computer. Two avis are not necessarily the same. They contain audio and video streams which are compressed using one of a variety of codecs. THe number of different codecs supported by avi is quite staggering Video Codecs by FOURCC
    If you have any software which came with the webcam and the camera, please install it. Whilst the software may well be of no interest to you, it will hopefully also install the codec you need.
    Tim

Hello,
    I have also a question about AVI format and Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c

I shot the video in 16:9 with 2 cameras. One video track is in AVI format, second is MPEG. When I render the video as an AVI format using "PAL Widescreen" setting, after opening it with any media player, the footage from 2nd camera (MPEG) is playing slower, nearly as slow as an slideshow of pictures.

I found out it was because of the "Field order" option. When using "Lower field first" then the 2nd video track (MPEG) is playing wrong. If I use "Upper field first" then MPEG is OK but got the same problem with AVI track. And finally after using "None (progressive scan" option, both tracks plays smooth, but the quality is terrible. Like watching old TV with low resolution.

I tried other formats already but even if they worked, the quality was terrible or it switched on 4:3 which is useless to me this time. I need to burn it on DVD with DVD Architect later on, so I need better results. Please can anyone help me what to do or which setting to adjust, so I can have nice AVI video with 16:9, in a good quality and with both video tracks playing smooth? Any help will be appreciated very much, I need to finish my project and this thing is really holding me back. Thanks in advance.

Is the mpeg (2 or 4 ?) in HD and the .avi SD ? Am I right in presuming it's the preview and not the rendered video that's not running smoothly ? What are your project settings ?

It's not clear from your description what exactly is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Is the mpeg (2 or 4 ?) in HD and the .avi SD ? Am I right in presuming it's the preview and not the rendered video that's not running smoothly ? What are your project settings ?

It's not clear from your description what exactly is happening.
    Hi, thanks for quick reply and sorry for incomplete information

1. MPEG is MPEG2
    2. AVI was imported through Vegas' "Import video" as DV (definately it is not HD footage)
    3. No, preview is fine, but rendered video is not smooth. Video I want to use with Architect and so on.
    4.Settings are default as they are for template called "PAL DV Widescreen (720x576; 25.000 fps)"

Ok this preview is ok so it must be the rendering process that means either the settings or the codec are wrong. As you want to make a DVD the DVDA template is the right choice for you. Have you altered the setting in the template ? There shouldn't be a problem with the mix of formats on the time line, I've mixed mpeg2 and .avi on the same project without any problem.

That's what I don't get. I did similar videos before, with the same cameras and same software and everything was fine, but I was using 4:3 PAL DV settings. This time I switched to 16:9 and I have a big problem.

I thought that problem is with rendering, but I feel llike I tried every possible rendering option combination and still I can't get adequate results. :-( Any hints what should I set and how? Should I try to download some video codeck? I tried open a new project with different settings and copy/paste the video in there, but the results were the same :-( I'm afraid I won't be able to finish this video.... :-(

I'm just looking at it now on my version of Vegas. I'm at a bit of a loss really but a couple of things come to mine. Is the pixel aspect ratio different between the two types of media. I presume the frame rate is just 25fps for each of them. If you capture the .avi in Vegas we pretty much know about that and it should be fine. The mpeg2, did it come straight from the camera memory card and was shot at 25fps?

Providing you have an unaltered "DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video" template this should be fine. I would keep the field order to lower field first if it's all SD footage. Make sure the video rendering quality is set to best on the project tab of the custom setting window.

If the above are already set like this, I'm at a loss as to what is happening.

Thanks a lot for suggestions. Yes, the mpeg2 came right from our Sony Handycam, but thanks to you I looked into the Properties of video files inserted into the Vegas. I tried that little tick box named "Reduce interlaced flicker" and the video seems to be OK. Now I'm rendering whole video with this box ticked for every piece of mpeg2 video (I had to do it manually for every piece, next time I'll do it at the beginning when it is in few parts ) and hopefully when I put it in Architect, it will finally be good.

Thanks a lot again, I really appreciate your help. I knew UK wouldn't let me down (spend 1 year in Liverpool, even been in Yourk once - on a Viking festival )

I'm glad you found a solution.