Thread: Mini Hi-8 cassettes transfer

Default Mini Hi-8 cassettes transfer

New member,first post.

I am a still photographer but 8 to 10 years ago I was sent on an assignment around the world and bought a video camera to shoot for my personal use. It was a Sony Hi-8 and said Digital on it but it took tapes.

I am now trying to find a place that can transfer them to DVD so I can edit. Someone stole the camera a few years ago so I can't use that.

The places here in Peoria ,Ill look at me like I have 6 eyeballs. They don't know of these cassettes or have a player to do it anyway. They measure 2 inches wide and 1 inch tall and look like what used to be used in a telephone answering mach.

Is anyone here familiar with those and have any advice? It's as if they don't know there can even be video on them.

I would have never had the use for that many audio cassettes (I have 6 that need transferred).

I'm also an x crime scene tech and I know if I said to the cops that there is a crime on these tapes that there would be a way to get it off. It seems like no one here is thinking out of the box and just says, "No we can't do it."

Thanks for any help.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

That's weird - I've NEVER seen video on those - and they certainly are not Hi8 tapes.... I'll be as interested as you to see what the answer to this one is.

NB - The '8' in hi 8 refers to the tape width.... those dictaphone tapes are only around 4mm at most aren't they?
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 11-14-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Wouldn't be the first time I had it all wrong, Were there ever these size video tapes weather Hi-8 or not?

Yes thanks. I did eventually find that out so the search is on for the Hi-8s.

Thanks all

No...what happened is I shot this assignment 8 or 10 years ago and assumed these tapes I posted the picture of were the ones. I'm a still photographer and just didn't know about video but now I have discovered those tapes above are just audio. So the search I spoke of is to try and now find the actual Hi-8 tapes I did use. I moved several times so they must be in a box somewhere.