Thread: The law regarding filming

Default The law regarding filming

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where this thread should live, so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction regarding my legal rights, when it comes to filming. I want to film the outside of a football club, from a public road.

Am I allowed to do this, or do I need the permission of the football club / local council?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries

If you are filming on public land, you are within your rights. What you cannot do however is film any "brand" type stuff without permission. So, if you're filming outside Anfield and you capture the LFC club logo (or even, I believe, name), that is where you run into difficulties.
    Tim

Tim is right. I would just add that a lot of states have their own laws when it comes to recording audio and video, so don't think that because something is allowed in Illinois means that it's allowed in Indiana or everywhere in the USA. I don't know if the UK is like that or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    ..I don't know if the UK is like that or not.
    Nope. We just have one shit law that we all have to adhere to.

After reading this thread I thought 'Oh I'm sure there must a write up about it on good 'ol Google' and sure enough I found this from the Film Council, could be of some help to you.

UK Film Council - Filming in public spaces

Blog Entries

Ignore Paulears, you don't need a permit for filming in London.

There are restrictions on blocking streets and interrupting traffic or pedestrians and some boroughs require permits for filming commercial scenes on roads which they own but for general filming (amateur or professional) no permit is required.

If you want to film a football club from a place which is not private property there is nothing to stop you. If you are using the logo of a club in a non-factual setting (such as a drama) then toy will need permission to use the club's logo as it will be copyrighted. If it is an informative item (what we would call news or current affairs) the logo can be shown. If it's a documentary then it depends...
    If the logo is "accidentally" in the shot and is not part of the content, then you can use it. Otherwise it depends on the nature of the documentary and the use to which the logo is put.

Blog Entries

Direct from the Metropolitan Police Website -

Freedom to photograph/film

Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Metropolitan Police Service - About the Met - Photography advice

Surely "it depends" - if an amateur filming (and it's unobtrusive), that will be OK, but if a whole film-crew turns up their very presence creates a degree of obstruction - and there are jobsworths who will talk you rigid about H&S.

As others have said, anything that's done in a private space really needs permission, as the organisers (even of a party, if you are a guest) may have commercial arrangements and don't want their site photographed, without prior arrangement.

Football clubs are a difficult area as their "brand" is very valuable, so they (and their agents, etc) may be quite protective. Thesite itself could be an issue, even if no logo is shown....since anyone knowing "football" would see the association - if your film suggests a "losing team" (say) the the Club will be most unhappy.

Bear in mind that such issues may only come to light years after the film's "in the can" - and in general these businesses have a lot more money and legal-access - this could gring you down . . . . I think it's best avoided, a change in the storyboard should fix it and might even have some other benefits . . .

- However, if it's a small club and you are doing a promo, they may welcome you with open arms..... esp. if you give them some DVD's as promo - maybe offering a discount for Fan-weddings done at the Club......"it depends"
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-30-2011 at 12:26 AM.