Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas HD Plat 10 - HUGE Rendering Times - How Can They Be Reduced???

1. Default Sony Vegas HD Plat 10 - HUGE Rendering Times - How Can They Be Reduced???

It takes me 15-20 minutes to render a 1 minute long 640x480 wmv video, or 30-40 minutes to render a 1 minute long 1280x720 wmv video. The videos have 1 audio track, and 1 video track, no effects. I read other posts and believe my sliders havent been moved, and my compositing mode is source alpha. Ive tried playing with bit rates, they reduce file size (which is great) but render speed doesnt change at all. To me, and from what I have heard, my rendering times are 2-3x longer than other peoples.

the only thing that will effect rendering speed I have found is if I render in different resolutions. Even rendering in different formats didnt make any difference.

Is there any settings that I can fiddle with that can possibly reduce my rendering times...

My computer is:

dell xps m1330
    4G RAM
    Intel Dou CPU T7500 2.2 GHz processor
    Windows Vista

Project settings are

Internet 480 29.97fps
    Best
    Interpolate fields

Render

WMV 3mbps
    CBR (tried Variables - actually made it longer..)
    WMA 9.2
    192 kbps 48 hz
    smoothness 90
    bit rate 1.5
    video rendering quality best

I have a hdr xr550 sony handycam - video goes into pmb first, and then into vegas HD Plat 10

I know that there MUST be something wrong with my vegas or the vegas settings, which I have no clue - Ive tried rendering in all the different wmv formats with different qualities and different bit and all are the same speed

I know this because, if I take a 1 minute long 720 - 30fps HD video and render it in Windows Movie Maker it renders in 5 minutes, and then take that same video and render it to the same resolution in Vegas it will take 30 minutes in Vegas...!!! Ive also tried 2 other programs, and they also render much faster than vegas, but not as fast as windows movie maker, and in my opinion they are awful programs to use so I dont want to...

Unfortunately, I only was able to test this using a video from a flip camera. If I was able to do this with video from my handycam I wouldnt even be posting here, because Id be using windows movie maker right now and would have saved myself about 300 hours of time in the past several months..

I cannot render my videos directly from my handycam since windows movie maker doesnt accept the original file type they are recorded in!!

converting will do no good, Ive tried this before - loose quality - takes just as long..

At least now I KNOW it is Vegas, and NOT my computer...

So please, any suggestions?!?
    Last edited by adamsheretohelp; 11-14-2010 at 03:07 AM.

WMM handles the wmv format natively. Vegas doesn't. It's as simple as that.

Check on thl eft of the timeline, and make sure the video LEVEL is set to 100% this can slow rendering down

4. Default

Its not just WMV though, its any format I render in on vegas they ALL take very near the same time.

Forgive my stupidity, I dont know Vegas very well, but where can I change the video level? I looked at the left of the video track and all I see is track motion, track FX, mute, solo, composting mode, make new composting child, track number, name, min, and max... I cant for the life of me find these "sliders" ive heard other people talk about that can increase rendering speeds if moved, or video level ??

I ws just give up on vegas, but the other programs ive tried, while faster seem like a pain to edit with since they are so "simplified" and I was gonna see if premiere would work better but they dont let you work with the mt2s files in the trail version so I have no way to know..

Probably the only video formats Vegas works with natively are mt2, DV, and AVI (RAW or with a compressor like Indeo). Any other format is going to take a long time to do anything with.

6. Default

well I tried rendering in those particular formats and it actually took even longer to render those... close to 1 hour a minute or more!!

I know there is something not right here, if I reinstall vegas do you think it will do anything??

Well RAW avi will take longer than anything because it's uncompressed. You have to use some kind of compression with it like Cinepak, Indeo etc. And the HD mt2 will take a while because it's almost TOO compressed (thus it takes a long time to decode). However, you say it even takes a long time to render a regular DV-avi file? That shouldn't be.

Maybe reinstalling might help. Couldn't hurt.

Sorry the slider is on 10 pro and not your version

I have just rendered a generated media 1280 X 720 (project the same 1280x720) to 3mb WMA and it took 1 munute to render
    The tried the same as above but set project settings to your one above 480 and rendred out at 3mb again and this took 2m.30s

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Sorry the slider is on 10 pro and not your version

I have just rendered a generated media 1280 X 720 (project the same 1280x720) to 3mb WMA and it took 1 munute to render
    The tried the same as above but set project settings to your one above 480 and rendred out at 3mb again and this took 2m.30s
    How long was the clip you rendered in 2m 30s? Mine renders close to that, but for a 10 second clip.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsheretohelp View Post
    How long was the clip you rendered in 2m 30s? Mine renders close to that, but for a 10 second clip.
    That doesn't matter. The point Cheema is making is that it is taking longer by a factor of 2.5 times. Is this the same factor as you are getting - 2.5x ?

Do his test and then do the maths. If you get the same/similar then this what you can expect. If you DON'T get this then your workflow or sys specs need to be investigated. But at least we now have a comparison to share. Simples!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast