Thread: 1920 x 1080?

Default 1920 x 1080?

I've only owned this 2nd hand Sony V1U for a short time, but it's my understanding that it shoots a full 1920 x 1080 frame; however, after capturing and importing into vegas, the clips say 1440 x 1080 x 12 in the project media folder. Why 1440? Also, this may sound stupid, but what does the "12" mean?

I should point out that all the clips look fine.

The 12 is the bit rate. Why 1440 is because the pixle shape is not square, if the pixel shape was square then the size would be 1920. If that makes any sence.

I know that the earlier generation of HDV cams like the FX1 were 1440 and stretched pixel; I didn't think that was the case with the V1U though.

I don't know enough about the different cameras to comment on theire internals. Are you right clicking and getting the clip properties from the media tab ?

I'm pretty sure the "12" is the color depth. Well, getting away from that for a second, there's something else I've noticed. I have a real cheap junky program called Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 that I use for certain things. The movies I captured using Vegas look much better in the Magix preview window. Vegas shows the movies looking rather drab color-wise. (And, yes, I'm using Best/Full). Magix shows about the same as they look when playing the movies in Windows Media Player. (I shot this in 24A with cinematones, so it's a little soft). I grabbed a couple of stills using the screen capture in Ulead Photo Impact.

Vegas: house_vegas.jpg

Magix: house_mepro.jpg

It looks like Vegas is changing the gamma. I can't find a way to change this.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-14-2010 at 11:23 AM.

And I just read this from "Additionally, the camcorder processes the image at 1920x1080, with a 4:2:2 sampling scheme throughout. The image is maintained in this format until it reaches the output stage, where the image is downconverted to 1440x1080 for output to tape and/or component output."

I guess that answers that.

This is what SOny says about the "12" Pixel format
    Choose a setting from the drop-down list to indicate whether you want to perform video processing (compositing, scaling, previewing, rendering, and most video plug-ins) using 8-bit or 32-bit, floating-point arithmetic.
    Performs video processing using 8-bit arithmetic and in the video (studio RGB, or 16-235) color space.
    32-bit floating point (video levels)
    Performs video processing using 32-bit arithmetic and in the video color space.
    32-bit floating point (full range)
    Performs video processing using 32-bit arithmetic and in the full-range color space.
    The 32-bit floating point settings allow greater precision for processing video, but require significantly more processing power than working with 8-bit video.
    • <LI class=p-sbbul>32-bit floating point (video levels) is recommended when working with 10-bit YUV input/output or when using xvYCC/x.v.Color media.
      <LI class=p-sbbul>When using 8-bit input/output, the 32-bit floating point (video levels) setting can prevent banding from compositing that contains fades, feathered edges, or gradients.
      <LI class=p-sbbul>Video plug-ins and media generators that do not support floating-point processing are indicated by a blue icon in the Plug-In Manager and Plug-In Chooser with this icon in the Video FX and Media Generators windows.
    • If you're creating a 32-bit project, you can increase performance during editing and playback by using the 8-bit setting during editing and switching to 32-bit floating point (video levels) before rendering.
    Compositing gamma
    When you choose 32-bit floating point (full range) from the Pixel format drop-down list, you can choose a compositing gamma value.
    1.000 (Linear)
    The default setting when you choose 32-bit floating point (full range) from the Pixel format drop-down list.
    2.222 (Video)
    Processing in 8-bit video is always performed using a setting of 2.222.

It seems a bit odd that they would down convert it for out put but I'm sure there is a reason for it.

As for the difference in the preview screens this is a real problem if you over correct the image because the preview window is not accurate. I have noticed differences but thought that was due to the differnce in codecs.

Well yeah, in the preview window it lists the properties as 32 bit there, so I figured it was processing at a 32 bit float just like my multitrack audio apps process audio at 32 bit even though it might be a 16 bit file I'm working on.

Also, while the imagers on my cam collect data at 14 bit color, I know that the mpg HDV spec only uses 8 bit color, so it must get converted to that by the time it hits the tape. But that's another odd thing about viewing the project media bin files where the specs show those captured files as being 12 bit.

So we have here CMOS imagers collecting 14 bit color, then it gets recorded to tape as 8 bit color, then after capturing, the files in the project media bin show as being 12 bit, and the preview window shows it's working in 32 bit float... it's a bit crazy. I understand all of it except why the files in the media bin are showing as being 12 bit.

When you choose 32-bit floating point (full range) from the Pixel format drop-down list, you can choose a compositing gamma value. 1.000 (Linear)
    When you set the project template to HDV 1080 60i (which it should be) there's no option for setting gamma values.

I mentioned the preview window has having different gamma values. Actually it has a tiny bit less contrast than it should. If you take any clip on the timeline and use the brightness/contrast filter to take the contrast up 0.10, then you have a clip that looks the way it should. That is, obviously you don't want to do that because the files wouldn't look right after you rendered them. I'm just saying that you can do that to see that the preview window does indeed not have enough contrast. The only way I can think of to fix this is to change the contrast settings on your video card every time you want to use Vegas. Of course, after you output your final product to view in something like Windows Media Player you would have to change the contrast back on your video card. There's gotta be a better way. Maybe someone should contact Sony about this contrast issue.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.