Thread: Powerful System

Default Powerful System

Im about to build a system for video editing and 3d animation work. I use a Panasonic HMC-150, so I'm gonna need something that packs a real punch. It will be running cs5 and maybe media composer and pro yools. I use a Cinema 4d and Maya to do 3d work. I have come to a bridge in the road and I can't decide between 2 setups.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8QGi-F

The advantages of this motherboard lie in the fact that I can use up to 4 12 core AMD Magny Cours (up to 48 cores!), and a huge amount of quad channel ram (up to either 128 or 512gb ram). Although I dont really know what the advantages of Quad channel ram are.

Disadvantages lie in the fact that it only has 2 pcie 2.0 (x16) and 2 pcie 2.0 (x, and no USB 3.0 (not a big deal, my camera only does 2.0)

EVGA | Products

This setup can utilize 2 xeon 6 cores, for up to 12 processors with up to 24 threads going. It uses 3 channel ddr3 and can hold up to 48 gb of ram. Theres 7 pcie 2.0 (x16) slots. It supports CrossfireX and 2 way, 3 way, and quad sli support. I like the idea of being able to run multiple cards.

With either setup I would like to put in an Nvidia Quadro card, but I'm not really certain which one right now. Both setups will also be running a RAID setups with some black caviars or velociraptors in them.

Money isn't too big of an issue, but I want to only buy 1 processor at first, as this is gonna be a huge chunk of change. Thanks in advance for help.

smily face is supposed to be an ( x 8 )

Well, I got tired of waiting. I got the Supermicro board. Haven't ordered my processor(s) yet. I ordered an nVidia gts 450 to start, as this article described not much of a performance boost per price of higher end cards with cs5 right now:

Adobe Premiere CS5 Video Cards with CUDA Acceleration Mercury Playback Unlock Enable Hack Mod Tip

I'll switch to the quadro 6000 oe day, hopefully, but this will do everything I need right now.

I found out that quad channel memory just utilizes 4 sticks capable of dual channel, in case anyone wondered. I'm probably going to order 4 kingston hyper x 4gb sticks as thats all I could imagine needing right now (anyone protest?)
    And I'm gonna put the OS and CS5 on a 60g ssd with some velociraptors in a RAID setup for everything else.

I see quite a few people have viewed this, but no responses. It's ok, If you guys are interested I'll post how it deals with CS5. I ended up going against the 12 core based on initial cost vs. value. I instead went with 2 8 core Opteron 6128's. They were about $550 for both (US) as opposed to $1000-ish for just one 12 core. Apparently they are an underclocked version of their top line of 8 cores. I doubt I would ever overclock them (or be able to with this board, really), but whaatever.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NakedRobber View Post
    I see quite a few people have viewed this, but no responses. It's ok, If you guys are interested I'll post how it deals with CS5.
    Hi NakedRobber. I'm sure many are very interested. For straightforward video editing we dodn't really need to approach the power you are proposing: it's your 3D works which really needs the powers and I'm not sure there are too many here who do that. Hence the perceived reluctance of people to advise- we simply don't have the practical experience.

But I for one would love to know exactly what you end up with and how it performs.