Thread: Need to Render a 42 Minute Video under 1 GB, Is this possible?

Exclamation Need to Render a 42 Minute Video under 1 GB, Is this possible?

I've tried many times to render this video and afterwards when I look at the file size its always 1 GB or more. Sometimes I even get 93 or 100GB, half my hard-disk space. The file formats I've tried rendering to are .avi, and .wmv. I'm not an expert at Sony Vegas 9 so I really don't know what render settings are best out of the 1,000 to choose from.

Render as an mpeg2 with a 2 pass option selected. Variable bit rate of Max bit rate of 9000, Average bit rate 2750, Minimum bit rate 1100, Audio bit rate 192.

This should get you a file size of just under 1Gb. The size is standard PAL 720 x 576 or NTSC 720 x 480

If that doesn't work try THIS
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-12-2010 at 11:07 PM.

That suggestion should work fine for SD material. If you want it even smaller in the future, look for a free program called DVDShrink. The program's owner quit updating the program a few years ago, but you can still find it all over the place. It'd basically a great DVD ripper that has an interpolation filter which can drastically reduce a movie's file size so that long playing store bought DVD's can be made to fit on a standard 4.7Gb DVD. I once managed to get all three of the Matrix movies on one DVD with that program, and they didn't look bad at all. Of course I was only viewing on a 19" TV screen at the time, but still....

Thanks for your replies. @Midnight Blue, When I go to 'Render As' and choose MPEG-2, there are a few templates to select from: DVD PAL, DVD NTSC, DVD NTSC video stream, DVD PAL separate streams, SVCD. Which do I choose? And also when I go into "Custom" and try to change the max,min and average bit rates, it doesn't allow me to input any number under 192,000. So for 9,000 do you mean 9,000,000? and the rest?
    Last edited by SteveTaylor71; 11-12-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Render as an mpeg2 with a 2 pass option selected. Variable bit rate of Max bit rate of 9000, Average bit rate 2750, Minimum bit rate 1100, Audio bit rate 192.
    Ok this actually worked, and the file size is now 906 MB. The only thing is that its a little wavy in between frames along with lines. Is there any way to get rid of the waves?

Here is a clip of the 906 MB video....just so you can see:
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8365/8ou.mp4

It's just a simple interlace artefact if you change the field order this should handle it. The usual rule for field order is HD = upper field first, SD = lower field first, Progressive = none.

Great! I can still see a couple lines in the motion but I can use VirtualDubMod to deinterlace it even more. I just recently figured out that I can go to project properties and select the deinterlace method either to blend or interpolate. This raises me to the question: Which project properties would be best to have before rendering the video? I currently have it at HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps).

The deinterlace method depend on the subject matter in the film. The blend is for high detail low motion and the interpolate is best for fast motion low detail. So you will have to judge which you need from your content. Note the deinterlacing does not occur during the preview only during the rendering.