Thread: Upgrading to Pro Version

Default Upgrading to Pro Version

I don't know if I'll ever have any use for Pro 10. Right now I'm using Platinum 10. I was looking around on Sony's website though, and I can't find any financial options for upgrading to Pro 10. Am I correct in assuming that you don't get any kind of discount for buying Pro if you're an existing Platinum user? Seems a bit strange to make their existing customers pay full price for upgrading.

Blog Entries

I'd be very surprised if you don't get a discount. For years it has been the case that it is actually cheaper to buy Movie Studio and then upgrade to Pro than it is to buy Pro in the first place. Significantly cheaper. I know of two people here who have saved 100 because they took my advice and did this.

Let me see what I can find out.

EDIT:

Yep, still the case (UK Prices)

Sony Vegas Pro 10 499.95

Or:

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 59.95
    Upgrade and Movie Studio to Vegas Pro 10 335.95

Total cost for you: 395.90

Even cheaper (for someone who has not yet bought in) Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9 29.95 then 335.95 for the upgrade to Pro.

That's 365.90 for a totally legit copy of Vegas Pro 10 direct from Sony Creative Software. A saving of 134

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Software
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-11-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Tim

Thanks Tim. It's still a very steep price though ($490). I just moved over from Premiere 6.5 which I've been using forever. I can upgrade to CS-5 much cheaper ($299). This latest edition of Platinum seems to do just about anything I could want, but I haven't been using long enough to say for sure yet.

Blog Entries

It's hardly surprising that upgrading from one pro package to another is cheaper than upgrading from one consumer package to a pro one. Going from VMSP to Vegas Pro would be like going from Premiere Elements to CS5.

On a level playing field, Vegas is cheaper.
    Tim

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that if Platinum doesn't end up being able to do all things I need it to and I have to move up to a more powerful program, that CS5 would be cheaper for me. I sure like the way Vegas is laid out though. It's a much easier GUI to navigate than Premiere 6.5 had.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    It's a much easier GUI to navigate than Premiere 6.5 had.
    I agree with you there, but there are thousands who'd take the opposite view. I have to say I suspect you're pretty unusual, most people coming from an adobe background with all those tabs all over the place have grown to love that way of working and find it difficult to adapt to other ways, let alone prefer other ways.
    When it comes down to it, you'll have to decide whether the additional enjoyment you will get working the way you want to work is worth the extra money.
    It all depends how you value your time: if you were pro it would be a no brainer, as hobbyists we haveto make compromises.
    Tim

You have to remember that my version of Premiere is eight years old. It probably bears little resemblance to the GUI they're using today. Certain things are easier in 6.5 than my new version of Vegas like the icons for various kinds of editing (ripple etc.) that you can just click on. With Vegas you really need to learn the keyboard shortcuts to do a lot of the same things, but it all comes out in the wash I suppose. Anyway, I'm pretty happy at the moment.