Thread: Hi All

1. Default Hi All

Well I'm having a bit of a problem with blotchy footage. I bring the footage into final cut pro in H.264. And once I begin to add any filters I get these huge blobs of colour within the shot. Now it could be the inexperience getting the better of me but it has just been pissing me off quite a bit because I am looking to get a real crisp clean shot. It Almost looks like it is a compression issue however I am unconvinced.

I am using a JVC everio which exports in a .tod format, I then convert this to quicktime HD H.264. I then bring this into to FCP.

Again any help would be much appreciated I can provide screen shots if necessary.

Cheers

Seán

(I'm just new to the forum and I hope I am not posting in the wrong place. If so let me know and I will repost to the correct Location.)

I don't know if it's the wrong place or not Sean, but you'd probably have better luck in a FCP forum. Personally, I've never heard of this kind of problem before. It's curious. Is it possible you have the compression for H.264 in FCP set to something much lower than 100%? You might try converting those .tod files (I know it's a pain even finding a program to recognize those) to something else. H.264 is kind of like Sorenson in that it's more of a delivery codec than an editing codec.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    but you'd probably have better luck in a FCP forum.
    So it's lucky we have here:
    The White Rooms: Video Editing the Mac Way

Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    You might try converting those .tod files (I know it's a pain even finding a program to recognize those) to something else. H.264 is kind of like Sorenson in that it's more of a delivery codec than an editing codec.
    Thanks a lot Swoopie.
    Again I'm relatively new to this whole thing, so is their any codes you would consider and editing codec? The big problem that I can see anyway is that the footage is fine until I convert it from TOD to another format. You know anything decent that might help me out?

Try this:

MOD Converter-Best MOD Video/File Converter to convert mod video files

I've heard this one is better though:

Tod Converter | Tod Converter for Mac

Also, Premiere Elements will work with both tod and mod files natively from what I understand. Oddly, Priemere Pro will not. So if you haven't settled on an NLE yet, you might want to look at Priemere Elements. It's cheap and is along the lines of Vegas Studio.

There's another cheap NLE that will open and convert both .tod and .mod files called Magix Movie Edit Pro. It's around $75 (USA). It's a purely lousy NLE that's full of bugs, but it will convert the files for you so that you can use them in a better NLE.

Also, I've never used it, but if you have NERO, it comes with a little video editing tool that will convert .tod files.

I don't know what to tell you to convert them to since I don't know what NLE you're using, but generally speaking I would convert them to mpg2 (basically HDV files).
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-13-2010 at 12:09 AM.