Thread: Nothing To Brag About

Wink Nothing To Brag About

With over 30 years of stills photography (28 of those as a pro) under my belt I'm now dabbling in video..

A few years ago my wife (God love her) bought me a Sony HDD Camcorder as a birthday present.. I used it for fun stuff like family gatherings and holiday vids,, nothing too great..

The last couple of weeks I've dusted it off, charged the battery and have been playing around with video.. I'm getting used to using Sony Vegas and I find it quite capable.. But still my vids are sh!te..

I need to practce, practice and then practice some more.. But all said and done, I'm having fun..
    Stills photographer dabbling in video.

It is fun!

You have the advantage that you know how to get the various effects due to your experience with stills. You now have to learn what makes a moving image different from a still one. Smooth movements will be something else that may be a problm initially, but you will quickly vercome that one.

Another thing, don't be afraid to use stills in your movies, they can be very effective and the quality is so high compared to video that you can crop small parts of a still without it showing in video.

But mostly, carry on having fun!!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Thanks Ian..

I suppose I have a long and steep learning curve ahead of me.. I can take some of the skills I've learnt from stills photography into video..

I'm not taking things too seriously but I still want to get acceptable results.. The nice thing about living where I am is, there's a photo/video op around every corner..
    Stills photographer dabbling in video.