Thread: Xvid and possible alike fail in Vegas ONLY (give me the right codec combination)

1. Default Xvid and possible alike fail in Vegas ONLY (give me the right codec combination)

Im extremely tired of not knowing what preferences Sony Vegas 9c works after, cause there will allays after a new installation be problems to add the video stream to the time line, im only getting the audio bar added on basically all normal videos i have, so its hard to point out exactly if its only xvid avi's or other avi's as well, however MPEG seems to add both video and audio for some reason

"Steam attributed could not be determined xvid"

I got so tired of seeing that no combination of codec settings can be correct from the start this time either, so i installed
    K-lite codec mega pack
    (and i dont need to hear that codec packs fuck up your systems)
    cause without it it doesn't work anyway in vegas, and that is all that cunts

So i wanna know what you who reads this and use Vegas what video codecs you have installed/vegas settings you have currently when you can add a xvid avi to your timeline

I know about Sony Vegas 10, but i dont wanna update to it and keep it, iv already tested and it causes other problems instead, so i rather be persistent and solve the Vegas 9 problem since that version have worked before!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xvid, DivX, and OGG are all on my list of codecs to run from. Virtually all NLEs from the past ten years were built to run DV natively from the timeline, and that's what they do best. Some like Vegas can also handle HDV natively without an intermediate codec if your machine has enough power. I'm not sure if any can run AVCHD files without converting in the background first. (Some claim to now, but I don't know for sure which ones). I believe they all convert wmv files on the fly in the background also. RAW AVI can be run natively, but few machines can handle it. Your next best option is to use AVI compressed with something like Indeo if DV isn't an option (like if it contains an HD frame size etc.).

I haven't had any problems at all with Platinum 10 yet, and I like having 20 tracks to work with which is probably as much as I'll ever use.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-07-2010 at 10:14 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Xvid, DivX, and OGG are all on my list of codecs to run from. Virtually all NLEs from the past ten years were built to run DV natively from the timeline, and that's what they do best. Some like Vegas can also handle HDV natively without an intermediate codec if your machine has enough power. I'm not sure if any can run AVCHD files without converting in the background first. (Some claim to now, but I don't know for sure which ones). I believe they all convert wmv files on the fly in the background also. RAW AVI can be run natively, but few machines can handle it. Your next best option is to use AVI compressed with something like Indeo if DV isn't an option (like if it contains an HD frame size etc.).
    Its just that i have created over 200 you tube videos with Vegas 8 and 9 with avi files with xvid, divx etc, so its not true that this formats are incompatible at least, thats why im gonna be stubborn now,
    it will be such unessesary add time to sit with virtualdubb and convert all to DV on every small file you wanna work with within vegas, besides there are alot of huge files that i have in the past just dragged to the time line and then start cutting in,
    a large file into Virtualdub and "dull processing mode"..will generate a damn big file and a changed resolution, and it will take so much time im not gonna hold myself from starting doing something else during the wait

One thing that strengthen my cause is that i once again tested installed Vegas 10 Platinum instead of 9 Pro, and i didn't change my codec situation on this computer during the swap
    (only FDDshow installed )and guess what all files that failed in Vegas 9 does now load into Vegas 10,
    so not even FFdshow and sett and using "Fourcc code changer" on my files could get the video stream activated "Video: Stream attributes could not be determined" in Sony Vegas so it seems to be all about the version you use after all?
    I haven't had any problems at all with Platinum 10 yet, and I like having 20 tracks to work with which is probably as much as I'll ever use.
    I have actually noticed 3 problems though, that causes me to consider going back to 9 again
    who will not let me add any AVI's on the other hand but then i will at least get rid of this

*"Preview Quality" window is no longer persistent, im not so happy about the fact that i now every time i cutt and past something on the time line all 4 settings disable "full" that i setted manually
    ("full" who seems to be required for any previews to not lag, all other mods make it unwatchable)
    every time i start a new project i must also manually sett the preview to full, but as i said it wont even keep that setting for more than a fiew clicks

*"Crashing" In the middle of the project i can get random errors with odd number messages, when you klick yourself past them...Vegas kill itself, and when you therefore becomes forced to use the "auto restore project" function its not fully recovered to the place where you exactly hade cutted, instead you get the whole object back as it was uncutted

*Incompatible converting of project files* My old incomplete project.files from Vegas 9 Pro cant be loaded into Vegas 10, thats a drawback if you hade worked long time on a 9 project

"Its just that i have created over 200 you tube videos with Vegas 8 and 9 with avi files with xvid, divx etc, so its not true that this formats are incompatible at least, thats why im gonna be stubborn now"

I'm not saying Vegas won't work with them. I'm saying it probably won't work them natively from the timeline. What that means is that it's most likely converting them on the fly in the background. If that's the case, then this will slowdown Vegas considerably and you can expect to have crashes because you may be asking it to use more horsepower than your computer is capable of generating. I don't know of any NLE for sure that will run Avid, OGG or Divx from the timeline natively. They really ought to be converted to DV or HDV first, or to an AVI with a decent compression codec like Indeo. Yes, V-Dub will only convert to RAW AVI files, but it's lossless, so they're huge. And again you need a great computer to handle those. You might try googling WinFF. It's free and can convert to DV.

"Preview Quality" window is no longer persistent"

I'll have to check that out and get back to you. I'm guessing though that Vegas is doing this because you're forcing it to work so hard that it will crash if it tries to show high quality previews. I doubt you'll have that problem with DV files. But I'll check it after work tonight.

"My old incomplete project. files from Vegas 9 Pro cant be loaded into Vegas 10"

If that's true then I feel bad for you. It won't hurt me since I just switched to Vegas from Premiere anyway. And once I'm done with a project I don't revisit it. At least I haven't had to yet. I'm sure someday a situation will come up where I may need to though. I'll say a prayer and think good thoughts!

5. Default

"Preview Quality" window is no longer persistent"

I'll have to check that out and get back to you. I'm guessing though that Vegas is doing this because you're forcing it to work so hard that it will crash if it tries to show high quality previews. I doubt you'll have that problem with DV files. But I'll check it after work tonight.
    Wery odd....now the preview setting have been stabilized to "full" here

ill scream if it starts resetting to lag again

I tried running one standard DV-AVI file (no effects) for a few minutes at Best/Full Quality with the "Adjust Size and Quality For Optimal Playback" off. No problems at all with DV. My CPU ran at about 5% and memory around 20%. I'm new to Vegas and just got my first HDV cam, so I haven't tried any HDV material yet. I've got a pretty quick machine, so I'm hoping I can get by editing HDV material at, or near, full quality without resorting to an intermediate codec. Maybe I can do some tests this weekend. I'll let you know how HDV fairs.