Thread: its that time .....

Default its that time .....

my first ever pre planned film

or documentary to be precise.

largely a series of interviews inter cut with photos and live action. ive been looking on youtube at camera technique and angles ..... there's not a lot of useful stuff on there. there will be 3 cameras in total. one static, tripod mounted shooting the interviewer, one static tripod shooting the interviewee and one moving hand held shooting both. obviously tripod placement is important so as not to get them in shot...... only have the cameras mics to record audio..... i reckon this could be the down fall ?

anyone got suggestions or links to useful info ?

ta.

I don't think your going to be pleased with the result if you don't use external mics. There's nothing worse than planning a shoot getting everything looking right and then when you get the footage it just sounds "not good". What style of interview are you looking at doing. The classic Parkinson/Wogan look or something more traditional news/documentary like face to face. May be something more modern as you will have a roaming camera. If the latter I don't think it matters if you can see cameras or lights in the shot. One technique I've seen like this is to have the static cameras in colour and the roaming camera in b&w. There was a "youth program" in the late 80's called Network 7 which really pioneered the modern interview look. I suppose the target audience needs to be thought about in choosing a style.

Well, the first interview is complete, it went surprisingly well. the interviewer was a bit nervous (he hasn't done anything like this before) but settled down after a while. we re-shot the first few questions a second time. the sound is probably the only let down for me. I'm going to run it through some cleaning/gating software to see if i can improve it. roll on interview number two LOL !

Are we going to see the roughs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Are we going to see the roughs ?
    hmm, probably not. still have another three interviews to shoot. not really got enough footage to start even a rough cut yet.
    gotta say how much i enjoyed doing the shoot. as i said to begin with the guy conducting the interview was a little nervous and you could hear it in his voice. but settled down the guy being interviewed knew his stuff was confident and thankfully no errs and long pauses.

Hi enc,

I am about to start shooting my first ever documentary in two weeks time!

How did you find the sound came out in the first interview? I have a lavier mic, and am definitely going to use that for my interviews. Did the cameras on-board mic work out OK for you?
    Regarding the presenter, and his intial nervousness, can you not re-record the questions at a later date and then edit them into the final peice?

Good luck with the rest of the doco!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    Hi enc,

I am about to start shooting my first ever documentary in two weeks time!

How did you find the sound came out in the first interview? I have a lavier mic, and am definitely going to use that for my interviews. Did the cameras on-board mic work out OK for you?
    Regarding the presenter, and his intial nervousness, can you not re-record the questions at a later date and then edit them into the final peice?

Good luck with the rest of the doco!

the sound is just OK, not great im going to see if i can improve it with processing. A lavier mic would have been better. we re shot the first few questions once the interviewer had settled down. not the ideal scenario as i didn't want a rehearsed feel to the interview but it turned out fine.