Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! I'm New! Trampoline, Skiing, and other "Extreme" videos!

1. Wink Hello! I'm New! Trampoline, Skiing, and other "Extreme" videos!

Hey guise! I'm new here. I am from Utah, in the United States. I love to ski, trampoline, dive, cliff jump, skate, you name it! I have made a few videos lately I would like to share. Please leave constructive criticism or any other thing you think I ought to know. Thanks.

Trampoline Contest Short

[2 mode videos removed]

Welp. That's enough for now.

EDIT: No. It was too much. Please read the rules. One video per thread.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-06-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: more than one video posted

Blog Entries

Nice variety of angles. I was left wondering how you got some of those shots.
    I loved the opening pan/time lapse. How did you do that?

Lighting's a bit of a problem in this situation, unfortunately you have no control over it.

I got a bit seasick with some of the shots moving up and down.

The split screen shot didn't work for me. It added nothing.

There are a few things I'd try to do next time:
    1. Try to get some sort of narrative going - even if it's just the guys arriving at the trampoline and ending with them leaving/going into the showers/driving home whatever - just something to give it a bit of a story.
    2. Not all the shots have to be action shots and get some close ups of faces and (in this case) feet. This will vary the mix even further.
    3. Get some live sound in there. The sound of people trampolining is quite unique - make use of those sounds.

Finally, consider, doing a piece to camera: decribe what you get out of trampolining, describe some of the moves etc,then cut between this and the action shots. If you don't feel comfortable talking to camera, then consider doing it as voiceover only.
    Tim

3. Default WOW!!!! THANKS. I've never had...

I've never had anyone break my videos down like that before. Thanks!

My timelapse was done by using a clamp and a kitchen timer. I purchased a timer from walmart and tore off the top/front. Then layed it it's side and set it to turn "15 or so minutes." Then used a handy clamp to secure the camera on top. The camera took stills every 3 seconds and I simply imported them into After Effects to compile them.

I was under a 45 time constraint by the rules of this competition. So I was really limited on what I should leave in but I'll really consider adding a narrative. Any advice on basic microphones? The camera doesn't pick up audio very well on its own.

I almost always leave some sort of level sound in [usually manually control it coming in and out with the music or interesting parts / comments] but in post production the audio was accidentally taken out when converting codecs.

Well. Thanks again for you comments. I'll bee reverting back to these before I do another!

hell I loved that, loved the helmet cam loved the variety of angles

just watch out with your framing, I feel it could have been better with a bit of rule of thirds going on, it really does make a huge difference if you do

excellent short video
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    hell I loved that, loved the helmet cam loved the variety of angles

just watch out with your framing, I feel it could have been better with a bit of rule of thirds going on, it really does make a huge difference if you do

excellent short video
    Can you give me an example? Like with the titles/text? It's a bit hard to frame using this camera. It doesn't even have a view finder!!! It's a bit of guess work. We used a painters stick + mount for many of the overhead shots and those are almost ALL guess work.

You should see how hard it is to frame using my remote controlled plane!!! Thanks though. If you have a moment please give me an example on the rule of thirds in the context of my video. I googled it but it would be nice to have an example.

Thanks again.

Some very inventive and ingenious ideas to get the shots you wanted. The kitchen timer is especially clever. I agree with Tim the split screen didn't add anything. If you have a split screen have it for a reason like two things happening at the same time or two different angles of the same action.

Well done.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Some very inventive and ingenious ideas to get the shots you wanted. The kitchen timer is especially clever. I agree with Tim the split screen didn't add anything. If you have a split screen have it for a reason like two things happening at the same time or two different angles of the same action.

Well done.

All three of you have addressed that you didn't like the split screen. I haven't said anything because I really disagree. The trick he is performing is a double cork 1080. Very, very, difficult trick. Even most trampolinists don't do these. It's more of a skiing trick. The split screen shows that he can do them BOTH ways. And demonstrates he can do them both very well. I think it adds a lot. But maybe that's just because I have more experience with the tricks? I really do appreciate the criticism though. THANKS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtproduction View Post
    I haven't said anything because I really disagree.
    I don't think you're disagreeing. You're giving a very good reason for including it.
    And this brings up a point none of us have raised: Who is your audience?

If your audience is the trampolining fraternity, then they will undoutedly understand what is going on and it will make perfect sense to them that it is done in split screen, indeed that's one very effective way of showing it.

But if your audience is more general, they will not know and appreciate this. This is where your narration comes in. Or even captions - though I think a voiceover would be far more effective: Indeed a voiceover saying more or less exactly what you have said above will make those of us who are ignorant of such matters far more interested and impressed that you just showing it.

On the other hand, that sort of voiceover might appear patronising to the trampolining fraternity.

So: know your audience.
    Tim

sgtproduction, you make a good point but Tims reply to that is very pertinent. The double twisting somersault or cork 1080 or what ever it's called, shows great talent but unless your video shows this to people who don't know the tricks, it just seems like a split screen for no reason. A slow mo is a better way of emphasising a good trick in my view and from multiple angles. Like this video shows.

#!

I'm not knocking what you have shot but if you take heed of what Tim has said you will produce better videos.

Nice video!

I am not a particular fan of the subject matter, and usually when watching a video that is based around a subject that I have no interest in I find myself thinking it is too long. I actually thought your video was too short which I would take as a compliment if I were you!

I loved the time shift pan, and the method of achieving it was equally as impressive. If I were trying to pick holes, in order to make your next video even better, I would say that the white text over the top of the time-shifted piece didn't work. The text was hard to read, and when you tried to read it it detracted from the excellent video work.

I agree that the split screen didn't work, and that it added nothing. I would go further though, as say that it actually detracted. My reasoning is that the human brain can only give 100% concentration to one thing at a time. By having two images, you are asking the viewer to shift their attention from one to the other, and leave the sequence having not taken in the full story of either trick. I would say that if these tricks were difficult and noteworthy, that they should have been given the full window to shine on their own.

Final though, the end was abrupt. No fading sound track or video, just BANG. Gone. Tim mentioned adding a narrative which sounds like good advice. The opening time-shifted piece could be the beginning of the day, and maybe a slo-mo shot fading to black at the end, of the guys relaxing after their exertions would be a more fitting ending.

Overall though, good job.

I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast