Thread: Saving edited advice

Question Saving edited advice

Hi all

Not sure this is the right section, but here goes.
    I've recently bought a Sony HDRCX350V so I can video the grandkids...or annoy them, whichever your take
    Also using Pinnacle 14, which I've gotten my head 'round for getting pic onto computer, & basic editing - at this stage. My problem is saving the finished vid.
    Done so much reading here over the last couple of days, but in the dark I remain :(

From camera to computer, the file/s get saved as #####.MTS, but what do I save them as once I've finished editing/cutting out the rubbish bits?
    I've saved my test shot as .m2ts, .mp4 & a few in between. Some are hugh, some are small - & terrible.
    Below are screen shots of what's available in Pinnacle.

Question

Sorry, board only allows 4 pics...this is part 2.

What is the better choice for storing on my machine for possible later extra editing/archiving, & which is best to save to for watching on the TV/sending to others as a data cd/dvd?

While I'm here
    After editing, & the video cut shorter, how come the finished product is bigger (in mb/gb) than pre editing? eg: #####.MTS 22min = 1.9gb.....saved file.m2ts 14min = 2.34gb

Hope you're able to help, thought it'd be a simple case of point n shoot, then quick edit & save

Here goes. Firstly if you want to re edit the piece keep the original footage and use that, this will give you the best quality. If it's just for viewing that depends on how you want to view. Bluray, DVD, YouTube, or just keep it on your computer to watch with Windows Media Player. If the latter that again depends on whether the footage is HD or SD. How much you consider the file size issue over the quality of the image. This is usually a compromise that is very subjective. So my advice to you is to experiment with a short piece and save it as a lot of different formats. Then view them and make a note of the ones which you think are good enough quality. Then have a look at the file size and way up the quality with a sensible file size for you.

The reason the file size can be bigger after editing is due to the amount of compression your camera is putting on the image for example the MPEG4-AVC/H.264 codec that your camera uses for HD video is good at making smaller file sizes but it's not the best or easiest codec to edit with. Other codecs use less compression but this makes the files larger. The video game is often full of compromises. Some people will say mpeg4 is really good for YouTube but I have never been successful using mpeg4, so I always use mpeg2 it gives me a slightly larger file size but I think better quality, this may be because I haven't used the right settings with mpeg4, I don't know. The whole subject of codecs is a science in it's self which is a mystery to me but I know enough to get by with what I need right now. I've learned everything from trial and error.

Although I haven't really given you the answer you where looking for I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply
    by Midnight Blue
    Firstly if you want to re edit the piece keep the original footage and use that, this will give you the best quality.
    I had thought of that, but as you can see from above, I'd cut 8min of shaking, test zoom in/out, shots of the sky/floor, face pulling etc from my test
    vid...but spent 1/2 day doing it *LOL* That would mean doing that each & every time I wanted to do any extra/different editing.
    So I'm guessing what I'm really asking here is...which of those options in Pinnacle would be the absolute highest quaility choice for saving the *rubbish
    removed* finished product, so later I could come back & *play* with, irrespective of file size?
    As for viewing.
    I rip a 2hr movie DVD to 800mb, I can't make a 20min home vid & get it down to say...140mb, or burn 2hrs worth to DVD & still keep quaility - I don't understand why, but I've read there is a reason numerous times, so I except it
    I'd like to be able to save a clip in the smallest size possible (separate from the re-edit version), without loss of quaility. Then be able to give to relatives to view on their computers, either via flash drive or data disc. I'm not interested in Youtube etc, or making the next epic *LOL* This is purely for family only.
    I also stream my (cinema) movies etc to my HD (1080p) TV, & I'll be doing the same with home-made. So again, smallest without loss of quaility.
    The whole subject of codecs is a science in it's self
    You got that right
    Unfortunately, it IS a case of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" when it come to me *LOL*
    I'm a wizz when it comes to cars & bikes, but with computers & this stuff, I'm like the person who just wants to drive & ride, not worry about the psi being put out by the piston/s, or the torque @ the flywheel

If you save the project you don't have to do it all again. The project file will know all the edits you have previously done so every time you want to re edit just open the project file and re edit that project. That way you work with the original footage which keeps the best quality and a project file is tiny compared to a fully rendered video. You should render or make movie or what ever Pinnacle calls it, to an mpeg2 which I think is a good compromise between file size and image quality. mpeg2 is the format that standard DVDs are made from. ie the .vob files on a DVD are actually mpeg2 format files with a different extension name .vob in stead of .mpg. This should be good for streaming to your TV. So for HD video choose mpeg2 file type with the HD1080i preset. For SD video choose mpeg2 with the DVD compatible preset.

This info is not cast in stone but will get you what you want right now but do try some further tests of your own to find what really works for you.

Hope that helps.

If you save the project you don't have to do it all again. The project file will know all the edits you have previously done so every time you want to re edit just open the project file and re edit that project.
    >slaps head<...Of course *LOL*
    Sometimes it takes someone else to point out the obvious, thanks

You should render or make movie or what ever Pinnacle calls it, to an mpeg2 which I think is a good compromise between file size and image quality. mpeg2 is the format that standard DVDs are made from. ie the .vob files on a DVD are actually mpeg2 format files with a different extension name .vob in stead of .mpg.
    Again...thank you
    That gives me a good starting (read safe) path in case I film something I want to keep, until such time I have *played around* experimenting, knowing whatever I film in the mean time will be of a decent quaility