Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good recorder for my external microphone

Default Good recorder for my external microphone

Dear all,

I have an microphone (Rode NT-2) and a DSLR (Canon EOS 550 / Rebel T2i) for shooting video.

I never paid much attention to audio in my (hobby) movies, but now I want to do audio right. I am looking for a good, but afforable recording device that has XLR input. I've seen the popular Zoom device, but these have an mic. included. I don't need that.

I was wondering if there exists similar devices with just one or more XLR inputs, and the ability to record (for a lower price). I looked around quite a bit on forums, but I couldn't find such a device.

Btw. syncing I'll do later in software.

I can recomend the Zoom H4n it has two XLR inputs or the use of it's on board sterio mics. The quality of the recording is very good.

You haven't read my post, have you?

Sorry, when you said you'd seen the popular Zoom but discarded it I thought that was because the H2 doesn't have XLR inputs. I know you didn't need the inbuilt stereo mics of the Zoom H4n which you can turn off if using external mics but I would still recommend it as a good quality digital recorder. I recently got one and found it's quality surprising. There are plenty of other recording devices but for the price I would still recommend the zoom. The problem you will come across is a device in a reasonable price range that has XLR inputs. Plus all the other devices in the Zoom price range have on board mics as well. Have a look at THIS to give you an idea of other devices.

Blog Entries

It's up to you. You can buy the Zoom H4 with inbuilt microphones or pay ten times as much for a Sound Devices 702 without microphones. Nearly all the lower-priced recorders have some sort of built-in microphone but (as Midnight said) you can ignore them and plug in your own mic.

The Zoom H4 has got great reviews in all sorts of forums and I know that a couple of our regulars (including Midnight Blue) are more than happy with them. As Midnight pointed out, you need XLR inputs with 48v phantom power for your Rode NT2 (Not a microphone which I'd chose for location recording, are you sure you don't mean the NTG2 ?) and there aren't many in the same price range as the Zoom H4. None which are as good value for money.

Blog Entries

Hijacking the thread, it seems I've just bagged myself an ME66/K6 on eBay. Now I need some means of using it. But I only have 3.5mm jacks into either my camera and Zoom H2. Now I know that long term I'll have to get an H4n or H4, but I'm just wondering if there's a cheap way of connecting XLR to to mini jack, both in the Zoom and the camera (panny NV-GS400). For very short runs can I just use some sort of converter?
    Or do I really need a BeachTek or JuicedLink (and if so, is there any preference)

(If it seems like this is the tail wagging the dog, it is, in a way, but I thought I'd just accumulate stuff which doesn't "date" so I can use it when I can afford decent back end equipment)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Is the K6 phantom only or can it work off AA batteries?

If it works with AA batteries then you just need a cable with an XLR (female) at one end and 3.5mm jack on the other. If it's 48v phantom only... BeachTek, JuicedLink or H4.

You can get a a cable like THIS like Rob said, just put a AA battery in the K6. When you are ready to get a new Zoom make sure you get the H4n and not the H4. (VERY IMPORTANT)

The H4n (n for new) is the device the H4 should have been but wasn't. Well done on getting the K6.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. As Midnight has hinted the K6 is both phantom and battery (I'm just hoping when it arrives it's not te K6P which is phantom only). Great news that I can save myself a not insignificant sum by not having to get a Bechtek etc.

And Middy, I've played with an H4n (used it to record a lecturer whilst others were filming) and I was sold on the nice clear display/manual buttons. Much more manageable than the H4, so I'm in total agreement with you.

Anyone want to buy a 2nd user Rode Videomic? (Only kidding - the amount I'd get for it, I might just as well keep it "just in case")
    Tim

Thanks for your advices. I just bought a used Zoom H4 (not H4n, too expensive for me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast