Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuckpointing

Blog Entries

Default Tuckpointing

Probably the simplest edit I've ever done.

A fellow member at Staines and I were wandering around Royal Holloway, University of London, sizing the possibilities for a club documentary about the place and came upon this bloke re-pointing the brickwork. He was amenable to being filmed and told us he was working the next day.

Jeremy duly turned up with camera and radio lav, filmed and passed the footage to me. We were hoping to get maybe a shot or two of the work being carried out if we ever made the documentary.

The guy was a natural at explaining his craft, so I thought I'd have a bash at making the little film you see here. I simply used his (barely edited) live commentary and cut the relevant images to match.

The film has been criticised for not explaining why this form of pointing is done - what it is designed to achieve - but I quite liked it the way it is: just the one man explaining "how".

I think it;s interesting to note that unlike a "how to" film, none of this is at all staged, he and his assistant are simply going about their work and he is explaining it "on the fly".

Tim

Nice one Tim. It only struck me when it had finished that I had instantly gotten immersed in the subject, which means you did your job well. He made it look simple but I'm sure it isn't.

Thats a classy video, on a great subject. A reminder to all of us that the brick walls of today are, well just brick walls.

This video was as high a quality as the work it displayed, simple and great content.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

simple and to the point. Good job however i thought picture quality was a bit low in contrast .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    i thought picture quality was a bit low in contrast .
    You're absolutely right! Now you've mentioned it it's so obvious. There were two sets of shots taken a couple of hours apart and the second lot looked like it suffered a lot more cloud cover. In fact it was because it looked like rain and the guys had thrown up a blue coloured tarpaulin, which not only flattened the light but gave a noticable blue cast.

I tried to balance the two clips and whilst they're close I'm sure I could have done better. But in concentrating on the colour, I fear I've killed some of the contrast and some of the the life from the footage. Thanks for pointing it out. I suspect I could fairly easily put it back and increase the sats a bit without making it ook too false.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    A reminder to all of us that the brick walls of today are, well just brick walls.
    That's rather what I though. And most people will take the time to watch a brief explanation like David gave. Any longer and I think interest would rapidly roll off.

Nice to see you making one of your occasional appearances here, Rollingstock. Your comments are always welcome and often thought provoking.
    Tim

Another great video, I liked it the way it was, if i had one to add one thing I would say make it longer, it definately left me wanting more which is a sign of a good video, well done Tim
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

I helped a friend do some tuckpointing once. It's one of those jobs like cleaning windows where you have plenty of time to think about life and wonder why you didn't get into something else.

Well it's not the type of film you'd watch again and again, but it was quite well done for what it was. Bravo.

well done with the video of the month with this video
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Last night this video became my first to receive more than 10,000 hits.

I realise that's nothing compared to some, but this is a film which is not promoted anywhere (other than here) - it's all been down to recommendations on YT and it's hardly high on entertainment value, totty or furry animals.
    It really goes to show content is king - and in this case it's a result of people looking for information on a very specific subject.

It helps that it was well filmed and recorded by a fellow member of the club (on his own) and the guy explaining the process clearly knows his stuff and is used to explaining it.
    All I had to do was edit it, which was a cinch with the material I had.

Audience attention is high and doesn't drop off until the task is finished and we see shots of the completed work (just before the credits), which is exactly what you'd expect of people atre looking for info.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast