Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video advertising peice

Default Video advertising peice

Hi all,

I recently shot and edited my boss talking about video advertising, to be used as a trade peice. Ignoring the very end of the video, where the screen goes dark and the music carries on playing (this is a rough edit) I would be grateful as always for your feedback. Thanks in advance.

It looks ok Mike, sound is a little "roomy" as though you could have got the mic a little closer. I think you mixed the music in well. Next time you get to do something like this try and be a bit more adventurous with the lighting. Although this is lit well it would add something if the background wasn't so visible and it would make your boss stand out more.

In my humble opinion, I feel a little more editing might be useful. I suspect just a few seconds here and there. e.g: around 0:51 the man can't think of what to say next, his eyes and face drop away. Even thought he comes back with a reasonably sensible sentence, it lost some of it's drama because I sensed he was improvised freefall. At 0:57, we get a long pause, and then he say "uuum". His eyes look a little dead. In such lighting circumstances; is there a good way to get a little reflection from the eyes; to make them come to life?

Tim makes a good point about the eyes needing some light. I didn't want to mention the "unrehearsed" unsure answers but if the guy wants to come across as though he knows what he's talking about he needs to rehearse his answers to the questions.

Blog Entries

OK. What TimA & Midnight have said is fair, but I think far too gentle.
    If this is going out as a trade piece it is going to be competing with stuff which is much better.

You really need to get in much closer with the mic.

The talent, whilst he comes across as sincere is, unfortunately, boring. (Quite how you break this to your boss, I don't know). It doesn't help that muc of what he says is boring, but he doesn't help it. "Official figures by the IAB in conjunction with PWC..." if the trade that this is aimed at understand these then maybe it's OK, but it's still a bit "yada, yada, yada" "said that the UK online video market was woth 28 million in 2009." We get slightly raised eyebrows! Surely this is a SELL. Show some excitement.

I suppose it's meant to come across as a serious inteview with a serious businessman - perhaps like bits of a BBC2 Money Program or similar, but I would have thought you could retain that sort of style whilst still livening it up.

One voice throughout 5 minutes is really dull.

He spent much of the interview leaning forward so that his eyes were halfway up the shot: check for thirds and recompose.

Also on a technical note, there was stuff going on whiuch was reflectig in the picture over his right shoulder - quite distracting.

So, what can we do to liven it up?
    1. If possible get another voice: possibly an interviewer, possibly another member of the team discussing the market with him (attractive women are never a bad thing: not only does it provide relief for ones' eyes but it also gives a nod towards being equal opportunity - espectially if she's a top tier director)
    2. Get rid of all these umm's as TimA says. You can do this if you
    3. Use loads of cutaways. Let's see some computer screens full of on-line advertising, and some adverts themselves.
    4. Enhance the facts and figures by showing them as title/graphicss on the screen - or. even better, show mock-ups of the "reports"
    5. Cut down what he says into much smaller snippets and in between each, raise the music and have some suitably associated other images/graphics

I'm sure there's plenty more you can do, but it really does need a lot of livening up. Just look at the amount of graphics and cutaway images used on any TV News report - especially those business articles. They realise the subjects are boring but have presenters who are used to this and very capable of livening things up, yet still they need the fancy graphics etc.

Just some ideas. And to be fair, I don't know your audience so I may have got it totally wrong!
    Tim

If you look at the video on THIS page it explains the type of lighting I was trying to explain and adds a real professional look to the piece.

Thanks to all for your comments. I am a little under the kosh at the moment, so I will respond more fully when I get a second.

Midnight, the video on that page wouldn't play for some reason, I just got an unresponsive black box. Thank's for taking the time to send me the link in any case.

Best,

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    Midnight, the video on that page wouldn't play for some reason,
    Mike, it's definitely worth persevering. That is a clear video showing how simple it is to make a big difference.
    Tim

It's just an embeded .wmv (Windows Media Video) THIS LINK may work better for you, if not you may need to enable something on your browser.

Midnight, thanks for the second link - I could use that one - and Tim I agree that it was worth persevering!

Sadly though, I have zero lighting equipment so I am going to have to stick with the office lights.

We have a desk lamp here, which won't light much I realise but does anyone think it is worth experimenting with ... maybe trying to lighten up his eyes a tad? I was thinking that a sheet of tracing paper of it to remove the glare might be worth a punt?

I am re-shooting first thing tomorrow morning so from my observations and the really useful comments above, I am planning to do the following:

1. I have written my boss a script for him to inwardly digest, and hopefully loosely stick to when the camera is on him. That will hopefully give the piece more structure.

2. Move the mic as near to his mouth as I can get it, and fiddle with the mic sensitivity, test, and go with the best settings I can muster.

3. Take down the picture in the background to remove the reflections, and on the advice of the PR agency put up a company logo instead. If it looks terrible I will ask for it to be removed.

4. Once the shoot is in the can, I will of course tighten up the editing as has been correctly pointed out by all above.

Thanks again for your comments, guys, I appreciate it. I’ll post the finished piece as soon as it is ready (probably early next week)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast