Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video I filmed and edited for pro boxing gym website.Feedback please

Default Video I filmed and edited for pro boxing gym website.Feedback please

I shot this video for Darren Wilson who is the owner and trainer at the Fight Academ Wales boxing gym.I filmed it using my Sony Z1e and edited it with Sony Vegas pro 9(when it worked).

He wanted somthing for his website.

If any of you are sport or boxing fans you might be interested to know that top British bxers such as Jason Cook,Jamie Arthur and Bradly Pryce are in this film.Cook and Pryce are boxing on Sky sports this weekend.

Any feedback good or bad,hit me with it ???

Looks like you did the white balance inside then did the exterior shots without doing another white balance. They look very blue, you could fix that with Vegas. Apart from some of the shots being under exposed the video is ok. The main problem I have with it is that every shot has the same framing/distance from the subject. It would be a good idea to close ups like really zoomed in on the feet as they are skipping or someone close in punching right at the camera.

Not sure about the A-bomb at the end.

Blog Entries

Well - First off - Buy a tripod! - So many shaky shots in there! Next - Try to avoid zooming - Watch TV progs - you'll get a wide and cut to a tight - you hardly ever see zooms. Next - Your text. You have a shadow effect running from balck to yellow. Looks odd. Also punctuation - stuff like its should be it's (seems picky but is important). At 1.03 there's a cut that misses your zoom out - and it looks terrible. Your opening shot is frankly awful. The vehicles parked outside obscure the building and the zoom is shaky as hell and wanders into the sign somewhat. Finally for me - tighter editing - I don't have sound on this machine so watched 'deaf' as such and it seemed very long and drawn out...

Sorry if it all seems negative - but there are alot of lessons to be learned. Personally? I'd get a tripod, go back and film again, and edit tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Looks like you did the white balance inside then did the exterior shots without doing another white balance. They look very blue, you could fix that with Vegas. Apart from some of the shots being under exposed the video is ok. The main problem I have with it is that every shot has the same framing/distance from the subject. It would be a good idea to close ups like really zoomed in on the feet as they are skipping or someone close in punching right at the camera.

Not sure about the A-bomb at the end.
    Thanks for the reply.

Good point about the white balence.Got to be honest the thought did not enter my head.

I will be looking to use a few different angles in future baced on what you are saying..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Well - First off - Buy a tripod! - So many shaky shots in there! Next - Try to avoid zooming - Watch TV progs - you'll get a wide and cut to a tight - you hardly ever see zooms. Next - Your text. You have a shadow effect running from balck to yellow. Looks odd. Also punctuation - stuff like its should be it's (seems picky but is important). At 1.03 there's a cut that misses your zoom out - and it looks terrible. Your opening shot is frankly awful. The vehicles parked outside obscure the building and the zoom is shaky as hell and wanders into the sign somewhat. Finally for me - tighter editing - I don't have sound on this machine so watched 'deaf' as such and it seemed very long and drawn out...

Sorry if it all seems negative - but there are alot of lessons to be learned. Personally? I'd get a tripod, go back and film again, and edit tighter.
    Thanks for all your points.They all make sense and I will keep them in mind next time I am shooting.

The only thing I have to point out about the cars outside the building.I was going to ask them to be moved but Its advisable not to interupt pro boxers when they are training due to the fact that being violent comes easy to them and they are almost always a bit stroppy due to the fact that they are weight drained and thinking about the upcoming fight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Its advisable not to interupt pro boxers when they are training due to the fact that being violent comes easy to them and they are almost always a bit stroppy due to the fact that they are weight drained and thinking about the upcoming fight.
    You have just dispelled all the stuff we've been told for decades about how boxing teaches kids respect and enables them to let of steam and get rid of their aggression in a controlled environment. I think I'll use this as a quote the next time someone goes on about how a sport based around beating your opponent senseless is good for them.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You have just dispelled all the stuff we've been told for decades about how boxing teaches kids respect and enables them to let of steam and get rid of their aggression in a controlled environment. I think I'll use this as a quote the next time someone goes on about how a sport based around beating your opponent senseless is good for them.
    Well to be fair I think most pro sports men would not be to pleased if a training session was disturbed for what ever the reason.

Blog Entries

.. but Its advisable not to interupt pro boxers when they are training due to the fact that being violent comes easy to them and they are almost always a bit stroppy due to the fact that they are weight drained and thinking about the upcoming fight.
    I seriously thought you were saying that in jest - but your next post made me think otherwise.... Worrying!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    I seriously thought you were saying that in jest - but your next post made me think otherwise.... Worrying!
    You have not spent much time with pro sports men then I take it?????

Blog Entries

You have not spent much time with pro sports men then I take it?????
    No. and the word 'pro' doesn't sum up people who, to use your own words...
    ... due to the fact that being violent comes easy to them and they are almost always a bit stroppy due to the fact that they are weight drained and thinking about the upcoming fight..
    Being violent comes easy to them? They need a change of career if that translates into everyday life. In the ring - absolutely, yes, but if someone asks them to move their car? Dear oh dear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast