Thread: Cropping problem

Default Cropping problem

I'm new with Adobe Premiere so have been toying around with it. Now I thought I was ready with my movie and wanted to produce it, but then noticed a problem.
    It cropped all my clips after I put them in the timeline. I check project settings and it said: Title safe area and Action safe area: 20%.
    So I quessed that that was the problem. Now I set both to 1% and if I put new clips in the time line, they aren't cropped anymore (probably only 1%).
    But all the clips that are in the timeline are still in the old format, is there a way to set them all to 1% without replacing them all (meaning re-editing and stuff).
    Thx in advance, Purm

PS I hope you people understand what I mean .

I'm not sure I understand. I wasn't aware that Premiere did any cropping with regard to safe areas. The 'effective' cropping is performed by your TV set when playing back. This is due to the overscanning that CRTs perform. The safe area feature of Premiere is purely an indication to editors that anything within the safe area will never be off screen when played back. Very handy for titles and DVD menus.

I wasn't even aware that the safe area margins could be changed.

The problem is that I can't force the new settings to the rest of the clips in my timeline. The safe area and stuff can be found at Project/Project Settings/ General.
    I added a screen of how it looks like, and that clip should just be bigger so that I can see the complete compass (red).

PS I'm using Pro v7.0

I've never seen this before. it's clearly cropped in comparison to the small image top left in the project window. Must be a side of 'safe zoning' that i'm not familiar with. Time to get the books and manuals out again i suppose.

btw I hope you paid Willie Nelson suitable royalties for his music

Thx for the help anyways, I'm going to re-insert the clips again, might be quicker then looking through the manual.
    And offcourse I paid royalties .

Blog Entries

This isn't "safe area" per se. It's because you captured at a res of 800x600 and the PAL standard is 720*576. Premiere simply crops the image if it's greater than the dimensions of the preset used. No way around this unless you make a custom template - I;ve done this before for someone with a reduced framerate, but it's fiddly as it involves changing the code of an existing template and knowing what values to change.

You could try resizing the video to the 720*576 in virtualdub, then importing to Premiere.

I recored in 800x600 indeed, so perhaps resizing before importing would be an idea. Specially since I'm planning to make more of these kinda movies and now in 1024x768. I think I'm going to fiddle a bit with it .