Thread: My Video Footage Full of Artifacts and Frame Freezes After Capture

Default My Video Footage Full of Artifacts and Frame Freezes After Capture

Problem: My recorded footage plays back smooth and steady in camera and when previewed in the editor program. After I press the red button to capture and upon review of the captured footage, blocky, coloured artifacts appear intermittently and images will freeze momentarily, especially in parts where there’s motion. Do I need another capture card or driver, another editing program, a new computer, what? Please help.

I have an Acer Aspire M5641, Intel Core Duo CPU, 2.53 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 32-bit OS with Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2. Internal devices include VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller and a Radeon HD 3650 display adapter.

My editing software is Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 The footage was recorded on a Sony Digital HD Video MiniDV M63 with a Canon Vixia HV40 in HDV mode and in MPEG-2 format. I used a firewire cable to connect to the computer.

It's hard to say exactly what is going on without seeing the computer but some things to check before you go out and spend money.
    Do a good bit of house keeping inc. defrag, clear old unwanted files, You should have a minimum 20% free space on your Hard Disk. Make sure your firewall and/or your virus protection is not interfering with the capture. (try it with them switched off). When capturing make sure nothing else is taking up unnecessary resources on your PC this could include virus or spy-ware. Capture from a fresh reboot. Try a different firewire cable.

Do you have the same problem if you capture standard definition footage ?

thanks for your immediate and thoughtful reply and suggestions, Midnight Blue. I'll try all of them and get back to you.