Thread: Hi, new to all this, a look at one of my Vids

Default Hi, new to all this, a look at one of my Vids

Have just started getting into videomaking in the last couple of month or so, be as brutal as you like with this, I know its a bit wobbly.

One tip I will give you is to try and do less pans. If you try and set up a shot like you did at 45 secs. Then set up another shot take that etc... When you edit these shots together it will give you a nicer piece. I'm not saying don't do any pans or zooms but use them sparingly and work out where you are going to start and where you are going to stop before you do the movement.

Try to get use to using the camera with manual settings. I noticed the sky at 1:48 is nice and blue but then the next shot had a totally burned out white sky. This is just the limitation of the cameras auto functions.

You have some nice shots of a beautiful part of the country but your videos would be better using some simple and basic filming rules.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

You've come to the right place for someone starting out. All too often people are very kind and complementary which isn't very helpful or just downright disparaging which is even more unhelpful.

Most of the criticism here, whether negative or positive, is given by people who are trying to be helpful, as others have been helpful to them. If you recognise that criticism is criticism of your work and not an assault on you, personally, you can learn a lot as I continue to do.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, whilst there are rules and conventions, much criticism is subjective.

One other thing I'd request is that in return for people criticising your work, you return the favour and criticise others: and don't give us any rubbish about you being new to making films: you're not new to watching them, and we all make films to be watched.

So, assuming you're as open to criticism as your opeing post suggests:

I think you've understood that buildings are stationary and therefore don't naturally make good subjects for video (If you want to study a building in detail, generally your much better of with still photographs as the detail is generally much greater and you can spend as much or as little time looking at each shot). So, what have you done? You've introduced movement.

Now, Midnight is absolutely right with his advice about pans and tilts and that's one thing you've hopefully learned from this, but what interests me is the fact that you have realised you need to introduce some element of movement and you have clearly given some thought to how, both in taking the shots and in editing them together: these are not the shots we often see from newbies where hosing (waving the camera around in all directions) and tromboning (constantly zooming in and out) are rife. So already you're ahead of the game.

I can see too that you have some sort of narrative - you take us on a journey through the building. This is a big plus in my book. I don;'t want radom shots I can dip into in any old order, I want to be told a story.

You've got an eye for a good shot: as Midnight says the shot at 45 secs is great. Keep looking for more opportunties like that. There are often opportunities to make "frames" within shots.

Getting movement into films about buildings is tricky. I liked the shot as you walked the camera through a doorway. I'd suggest whenever you see a doorway in a building you should either move the camera through it or show someone walking through it. Similarly with stairs try to show feet climbing.

Some of the most interesting shots in your piece were those involving people, usually because it creates movement: the climbing the stairs was nice and (contradicting myself) the pair sitting at the chairs was a splendid static shot. I was hoping for it to cut to a much closer shot of the pair, but alas that didn't happen (or perhaps that's what made the shot)

Anyway, you know you need a tripod and I think Middy's given you enough tips to be getting on with. I hope you'll feel encouraged by what we've had to say.

I look forward to seeing your next film.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I really appreciate it. I can now realise some of the mistakes I can see and why they are mistakes, instead of just thinking 'something looks wrong'.

I know what you mean about the 'being new to films' bit. With my first post, I felt like I had to have some sort of excuse. hehe.

I have a few more on youtube, we regularly go to castles/places of interest, altho that will be coming less frequent due to the impending winter. So hopefully will get more practice. One thing I have noticed is that the amount you actually shoot to the amount you end up using is vast. Its not til you get home and view it in an editing program that you realise how much is unusable.