Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OH NO!!!! Can sea breeze (full of salt) ruin my camera?

Default OH NO!!!! Can sea breeze (full of salt) ruin my camera?

Hi all,

Went for a day trip to Brighton today, and took some great seascape shots ... after a while it suddenly dawned on me to check my lense and it had a film over it, which was obviously sea breeze full of salt!

I stopped shooting immediately, and packed away the camera, but I have just returned home and plugged my SDHC card into my computer, and while the images look stunning, there is a buzzing and halting of the video every so often. The buzzing is like an electric static shock and the video sticks when it strikes.

Any ideas on what this could be Please tell me I haven't knackered my camera?!?!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.S. It is a Panasonic AG-HMC41E camcorder that shoots AVCHD, just in case that makes any difference.

I'm off out now to a birthday bash, but I have set a clip to upload to YouTube ... if you go to youtube.com/mikenicholsonvideos in 20 minutes it should be there.

Thanks in advance - I'm bricking it!!!

Morning all,

It is with huge relief and more than a smidgen of confusion that I tell you the video I shot yesterday is all fine this morning! All I did is put the card back into the camera, shot a few test pieces at home both with and without the Senheiser mic in order to see if the camera was working today, and it was. While I was there I had another check on yesterday's files, and they are all static free as well! Obvioulsy delighted that there is nothing sinister and expensive going on with the camcorder, but slightly baffled at the same time.

I am assuming that the problem occured with the PC play back, rather than the actual video.

Still, all's well that ends well. Apart from the wind ruined all the audio from yesterday anyway I have a rare day t myself today, so wind-proofing the mic, cleaning my sea-salf covered lense and then starting to film my film about Stoneleigh are the order of the day! Happy days indeed!

Blog Entries

It may be that the damp caused a few problems with the card and now it's dried out. I've not heard of this happening before but it's the only thing I can think of. Lucky man!

Watch out when you clean that lens! Use fresh water to start with, to remove the salt, don't use any solvents as they can react with the salt and take the coating off the lens. Don't try to "rub out" marks left by drying water, dampen the glass and use a soft tissue to wipe it off. The coating is unbelievably delicate and I can't understand why new cameras don't come with a U.V. filter as standard.

I assume you're already ordering a U.V. filter?

It's always nice to see a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    It may be that the damp caused a few problems with the card and now it's dried out. I've not heard of this happening before but it's the only thing I can think of. Lucky man!

Watch out when you clean that lens! Use fresh water to start with, to remove the salt, don't use any solvents as they can react with the salt and take the coating off the lens. Don't try to "rub out" marks left by drying water, dampen the glass and use a soft tissue to wipe it off. The coating is unbelievably delicate and I can't understand why new cameras don't come with a U.V. filter as standard.

I assume you're already ordering a U.V. filter?
    Thanks Rob. So, clean water and a tissue is OK to use when cleaning the lense? I was thinking that I had to go to Jessops to get a cleanign cloth? I have no knowledge of UV filters at all in terms of their size, shape etc... I can't see how it would attatch to my camera btu I'll Google it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's always nice to see a happy ending.
    Thanks Midnight. I went to bed in a bad mood and I am walking on air today I can tell you!

Blog Entries

The coating on the front of the lens is evaporated on during manufacture and is only a couple of atoms thick! It's also not as hard as the glass it's on so is really easy to scratch. Yeah, just use water on the lens (and sparingly, enough to get it damp, not enough to see drops.) and a soft tissue or a bit of chamois leather.

UV filters are made of a different type of glass to lens elements and are a lot harder. They are also coated but with a hard-wearing multicoating which will take lens-cleaning solvents. Nearly every camcorder will accept filters and most people keep a UV filter screwed to the camera at all times.

Thanks again, Rob, I am off to Jessops this afternoon in that case!

There will be a thread on the inside of your lens ring, it will say in your manual what size that is. If you go to any photography shop they will have screw in UV filters which you can use to protect your lens just tell them the size you need or you could take your camera in to try it. It's much better to scratch something that costs 10-15 than the lens, which will cost a small fortune to be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast