Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At The River

Default At The River

There hasn't been any color enhancements or any other tweaking to the footage. What you see is the rawness it was shot at.

Hi there.

Some nice shots of the river in there, I am a sucker for water though it has to be said!

However, I didn't really understand why the film returned to the green rope/ string around a post 2 or 3 times as it did the red berries? Also, I felt that the shots were too rushed, especially the shot of the river stretching away at 41s, which I would have liked to seen for longer.

Out of the two hours of filming, i didn't really get a lot of shots what were that good. So i had to use the shots of the the rope and berries from different distances to make it a bit longer. Thinking about it i should of made the river shots a bit longer, especiallythat last shot.

I've been there before! What was wrong with the footage that you scrapped in the end, out of interest?

The best advice I can offer you is try to vary the length of the shots in editing. Make a decision based on what you think the value of the shot is and have it short or long in the edit. This will mean you have to make sure your shots are long enough during filming.

Some of the footage turned out a bit on the dark side and the rest i didn't like the way it turned out. I don't really like to do any sort of color enhancement or any other tweaking to the footage. It looks better if the shots look as natura as possible, instead of over the top trying to make the colors and shadowing stand out.

Whilst I commend you for this view, I to don't like to do a lot of colour changes, you do have to get the footage in the first place to look good. Knowing why the shots turned out the way they did would be a good way of not repeating the same mistake. Do you have the camera set on auto or manual ?

I have been shooting mostly on auto WB. The camera dosn't have manual, the only other settings are daylight, cloudy, fluorescent H, fluorescent L,tugsten and measure shutter. I can also set the AV exposure between -1, -2, 0, +1, +2 .

I suppose this puts you at the effect of the elements for outdoor shooting. If you have AWB it usually will do a good job Isuppose the AV -1,-2 etc is the same as setting the iris so knowing what setting to have for what lighting condition will enable you to shoot clips and not have them too dark.

Blog Entries

AWB may adjust on the fly on your camera, but on mine it seems to set it when I switch on with the result that if I switch on indoors, then go outside the colour balance is wrong. I now make a habit, if using AWB, of switching the camera off and on whenever I change environment or even the direction in which the camera is pointing.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast