Thread: Directors blame filmmaking crisis on Internet

Default Directors blame filmmaking crisis on Internet

An interesting story!
    What this out-of-work Director is failing to see is the real reason.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting, Digger.

He seems to be confusing two related, but fundamentally different, issues: filmmaking and cinema going.

I don't see how the former is affected by the internet - at least in creating a crisis - it's clearly beneficial in allowing all means of collaboration from script-writing through to post production without expensive travel/accommodation etc.

Cinema going? Bums on seats are affected by (a) other pastimes/entertainment competing for audiences attention and (b) other means of watching films. Some of (b) may well be down to the internet, but even here much of that still generates revenue. Whilst it is possible that on-demand viewing may move audiences away from the cinema, this is no different than rental DVDs or previously VHS. I'm sure there's loads of illegal downloading of films among certain groups of the population, and I certainly don't condone it, but I do wonder how many of these illegal downloaders would otherwise have gone to the cinema - very few, I'm prepared to bet.

Quite apart from that I get generally wound up by people blaming technology for things. If anything is to be blamed it is the use of technology, not the technology itself.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Quite apart from that I get generally wound up by people blaming technology for things. If anything is to be blamed it is the use of technology, not the technology itself.
    Astute observation. The old filmmaking/distribution/exhibition monopoly paradigm is certainly falling by the wayside. With the industry moving towards digital projection in cinemas and electronic delivery of prints, both the film making companies like Kodak and outfits that made prints for theater distribution are becoming dinosaurs. Digital projection ability is opening the way for more independents to get their films into the theaters.

Hollywood is not the only legacy industry that is heading for extinction. The music industry is going that way too, although they are certainly fighting tooth and nail to try and retain the old ways of doing business. As for newspapers and magazines, they need to lay down and die; they are dead already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    As for newspapers and magazines, they need to lay down and die; they are dead already.
    Whlst I agree entirely wth the rest of your post, I disagree with this. Sure, they need to, and indeed are trying to, develop into a more generalised media industry where it is the content, nor the medium, which is important, but that's not to say there's no place for the old media.

Unless Im looking for just the headlines, I'd far rather read a magazine or a newspaper. I find my attention is far greater with printed media than with on-ine stuff The result is that I rarely get the full erspective of what a writer has to say when reading online. What I'm far more likely do, which is also perfectly valid and arguably will gve e a more balanced diet, is to scan for what ohes are saying on the same subjet: but again, I'll rarely get pas their headine paragaphs.

I'm thinking eBooks may well be the perfect compromise, but I've yet to be given one.

EDIT: Of course,I may be the only person with this view
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-26-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm thinking eBooks may well be the perfect compromise, but I've yet to be given one.
    EDIT: Of course,I may be the only person with this view
    I'm 60 and still enjoy reading a good book in a paper version. But having worked overseas in countries where English was not the native language, I fell away from reading newspapers and magazines. Once in a while I go look up the on-line site of my hometown's newspaper, and it just does not cut it. I really don't think a newspaper converts well over to IT. IMHO.
    So, these days, when I get up each morning, I microwave my first cup of coffee and then visit a few selected news websites.

I find news papers very useful at the moment because I've got a new puppy who isn't house trained yet apart from that news papers are no use to me. The music and film industries will need to learn to live with the new technologies. I agree there will always be people who make illegal copies of films and music and software but evolution has always sorted out the strong from the weak, those who are the most well equipped to survive. This is the way of things.