Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Sony Vegas Rendering?

Unhappy Help With Sony Vegas Rendering?

After finding I couldn't buy the film "Doubutsu No Mori" ANYWHERE, I decided to just download the thing and put it on a disk for myself. A couple hours later, I had all eight parts sitting on my hard drive; so I opened up vegas and put them together to form one film that I could burn onto a DVD to watch on my TV.

This is where I hit a problem - I have NO idea what kind of format to render it in. Eventually I decided on .wmv 4.8 mbps HD 720-24p video. As you could guess, I have no idea if this is good quality, bad quality, or whatever - anyway, I rendered a couple of seconds of the film, and it appeared quite big on my monitor when I played it back - (the problem I have with that other films I have saved, is that when watched on my much larger TV, the images become very much pixelated.) So, ok, I start to render the whole thing.

A bit of math as I'm waiting (proportionality from the details of the few seconds I rendered) says the file size will be about 3gb - that's fine - but its the time that it will take that's worrying me - around 14 hours. It's been 10 minutes now, and 1% has rendered - so 16 hours now. Aah! I hate leaving my computer on overnight, TERRIFIED it will overheat and explode, or something. So, first question, if I did that, would my PC die? ):

Second question; what sort of file size/format should I be using? Please not too much techy talk, complete noob, I picked the file I did because, idk, the name looked fancy and so I thought the finished film'd probably look good. >_< >_< I have Vegas Pro 9.0, so any of the formats from there.

In conclusion, what can I do? Is it waaaay too big for a film, or in fact is 14 hours a normal time to render a film? And will my computer die if I leave it? :P 15 minutes and its still at 1%, ouch, so would appreciate any help.

Thankyou!

Use the 16 hours in a different way,

hour 1 and 2, work at Mcdonalds - then resign and collect your pay.
    hour 3 - Take your pay to a video store and buy the film
    hour 4 and 5, watch the film
    hour 6-16, enjoy the rest of your life!

Sorry for the flippant answer, doesnt help u much does it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smingle View Post
    Sorry for the flippant answer, doesnt help u much does it
    No it doesn't - especially as it appears he's made an honest attempt to buy the film.

Ethereal Mist: What format is your source video? If you're not sure, download GSpot (free) and load it into that. What sort of spec is your PC? Rendering times of many times longet than the film length aren't necessarily wrong it all depends on what's being converted to what and the power of the machine.

If you want to play on a TV and DVD quality is fine, then render as MPEG-2 using the DVD ARchitect Template (Widescreen and/or PL/NTSC to suit)
    Tim

yeh Sorry, it just seemed like a lot of effort for the return :(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smingle View Post
    yeh Sorry, it just seemed like a lot of effort for the return :(
    Actually it's not. Worst case - about 2 mins to set up and then he can get on with his life whilst it spends 16 hours rendering
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Actually it's not. Worst case - about 2 mins to set up and then he can get on with his life whilst it spends 16 hours rendering
    OR SHE EtherealMist sounds female to me. Do come back and let us know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    EtherealMist sounds female to me.
    Based on the name, presumably. ANother clue might be fear of computers blowing up if left on overnight
    You're quite right to correct my wholly unjustified assumption. I apologise
    Tim

Hahahahaha, seriously, no need to apologize, I don't cry at night every time someone accidentally calls me a 'he.'

And sorry for not replying to this thread in so long, forgot to check the bookmark. >_<

Anyway, thanks to the tips I managed to render it in good quality and my computer didn't die on me.

Still, I then ended up with the problem of my TV deciding to cut off the top and bottom of the film, meaning I couldn't see the subtitles - and there apparently being no aspect on my TV that rectifies this. It's so fustrating after all that I did, that it just makes me laugh.

NB: And as for the computer blowing up - its possible! My PC hasn't particularly good fans!

Blog Entries

Most TVs/projection equipment will no display a fraction of the outside of the pictue (something called overscan - though I think that comes fromthe days of CRT). That fraction can be as much as 15% or even 20%. You should try to keep your important stuff inside this fame. You can put a "safe area" overlay on your preview within Vegas.
    Tim

Yet, weirdly enough, the subs are perfectly within the safe areas! ->safe area anime scnsht.jpg

I guess my TV is really weird.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast