Thread: XM1 or XM2? please help

Default XM1 or XM2? please help

I've been using the Panasonic GS120 and 200 and I love 'em but I'm ready to move on. I have 1000 to spend and I was looking at brand new XM1 which would cost me 950. I know the Xm2's are newer but they are about 500 more expensive. What would you recommend? is the difference in price worth the difference in Camcorder? How old is are the XM1s?

Thankyou.
    John.

The XM1 dates from 1999.

This review may help you make up your mind, as it explains someof the differences between the XM1 and XM2.

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canon_xm2.html

Incidentally I bought an XM2 recently for 1,200 so the price difference isn't quite as big as you think.

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

I bought the XM2! Lovely peice of kit. Not had chance to use it yet.

Haha how do you know then?
    First B/W semi pro music video in the bag! More to come.
    Dual Athlon MP 2800+ 2 Gig DDR Ram Pinnacle Edition V6.1 pro 2xXL1s

Time Travelling - It's the future.

shoot me, shoot me now.

ahh Of course !!
    First B/W semi pro music video in the bag! More to come.
    Dual Athlon MP 2800+ 2 Gig DDR Ram Pinnacle Edition V6.1 pro 2xXL1s

Point taken

I have tried it now and I think it rocks. All the controls are pretty easy to use and find and I'm pretty much getting used to it already.

Not quite sure what the gain is supposed to do really. Just seems like another way of brightening/Darkening the picture.

Imagine your in a nice sunny place say the beach (not a good plae for a camera I know). Would you simply press the EXPosure button to darken the picture or would you adjust the Iris (AV mode)?
    I realise this alters your depth of field but doesn't the EXP button do the same thing?

Sorry for being so novicy about this.

Yes it is a nice camera, and I agree with your comments on the ease of use of the controls.

As you have spotted you can expose the shot in several different ways. What way is best? Well that wil ldepend upon what you are shooting and what outcome you want to achieve. I would suggest that you continue meantime to experiment. Shoot the same scene using different settings and take time to examine the differences. That way you will get to know what your camera is capable of, and more importantly, it will give you a big clue as to what shot you need to use when you start filming in anger.

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.