Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no permission to view things

Default no permission to view things

When i click on my name or sometimes other links on this forum i get

"wirral, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

why is this and what can i do about it

Blog Entries

can you post the URL of the bits you are trying to access?

even clicking on my name (top right page) or on "my profile" does this

Blog Entries

Thanks. As permissions can vary, it would be useful to know all of the URLs.

well it would be nice if a board mod visited and explained this.

just as i thought another over complicated site with no help with the basics

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wirral View Post
    well it would be nice if a board mod visited and explained this.
    I'm the site administrator. I was asking for the URLs so I can test them using the same account settings as yours. I've regiestered as a new user and wgen I click on your name, I get taken to your profile. I've also clicked just about every link I can find and have permission to view everything. I would be great if you could post the URLs you're having difficuly with, as it's possible I've over looked something.

Unfortunately we don't always get everything right, and me and the site moderators are still getting used to the new site software. We hope that the site is easy to navigate, as this is fundamental to being able to give everyone help and support. Any feedback you can give on how to improve this is welcome.

Blog Entries

Care to link to another site where
    1. the admin gives his time for free and provides the site for free,
    2. responds to a vague question from a newcomer with a request for some specific information to assist with troubleshooting in little over an hour,
    3. politely requests the same information again, within half an hour of said newcomer failing to provide that information in his response
    4. patiently explains why he was asking for that info as well as the testing that he has done on behalf of said newcomer (without finding any fault) but is still humble enough to accept there might be a problem.
    ?
    This is a great site and I'm proud to be one of the mods. We like to think of ourselves as tolerant, understanding and helpful, but I don't think any of us would consider ourselves as tolerant, patient or understanding as Marc.

In the four years that I've been here, I've never been aware of anyone having the problem you're experiencing - though, as Marc has explained, he's recently implemented a new version of the software, so all bets are off.

Now, please forward the information so that we can progress with troubleshooting. It might also be useful if you can mention how you are connecting, what browser you're using, whether you're going through a proxy server, what firewall you're using, whether you expeirence the same using a different browser/PC etc etc. But let's kust start with what Marc asked you for, eh?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Care to link to another site where
    1. the admin gives his time for free and provides the site for free,
    2. responds to a vague question from a newcomer with a request for some specific information to assist with troubleshooting in little over an hour,
    3. politely requests the same information again, within half an hour of said newcomer failing to provide that information in his response
    4. patiently explains why he was asking for that info as well as the testing that he has done on behalf of said newcomer (without finding any fault) but is still humble enough to accept there might be a problem.
    ?
    This is a great site and I'm proud to be one of the mods. We like to think of ourselves as tolerant, understanding and helpful, but I don't think any of us would consider ourselves as tolerant, patient or understanding as Marc.

In the four years that I've been here, I've never been aware of anyone having the problem you're experiencing - though, as Marc has explained, he's recently implemented a new version of the software, so all bets are off.

Now, please forward the information so that we can progress with troubleshooting. It might also be useful if you can mention how you are connecting, what browser you're using, whether you're going through a proxy server, what firewall you're using, whether you expeirence the same using a different browser/PC etc etc. But let's kust start with what Marc asked you for, eh?
    yep just as i thought another one of those patronising mod's

cya

Are you using Win7 64 bit with IE8 ? this has know errors sometimes link don't work for me but it's not the site it's the browser.

Blog Entries

I shake my head in utter disbelief. Why do some people expect to get everything spoon fed (like how to use a pretty standard forum), moan and bitch when something isn't quite to their liking, and then have the audacity to call us patronising? It f**ks me right off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast