Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tripod do you use?

Default What tripod do you use?

As above.... It's time to upgrade from my trusty velbon.

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. I've had a Velbon DV-7000 for years, which I currently use and think it's excellent for the price but I'm thinking of getting a 35mm DoF adapter so it's time to upgrade.

I'm interested in what people have to say on this subject.

Blog Entries

I can heartily recommend a Manfrotto 503. Personally I use a Manfrotto 510, lovely but a bit expensive.

There's a snobbery against Manfrotto amongst the so-called internet-experts (ie they are online but don't actually do any filming). Manfrotto being best known for still photography tripods but their video heads are much better than equivalent-priced or even slightly more expensive brands such as Libec. You can go for really expensive brands like Vinten or Sachtler but their smaller video heads are made by.... Manfrotto!

It was a dead cert that the Manfrotto 503 would be mentioned (and it is a good choice) but there are a number of Chinese clones available at approx half the price. I have one and it is excellent, including the fluid head which uses plates interchangable with the 'frotto.

I'll now duck while some folks throw things!!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

I understand what you're saying and would never blame anyone for looking for a bargain. I know the clones, having played with them at Photokina and they are almost identical but...

There is a definite difference in the "feel" when you use them, it's debatable whether it's worth a hundred quid (in my opinion it is worth it) but the material is a different subject. The copies (and they are identical copies) are cast whereas the original Manfrottos are machined. So, if your Manfrotto falls over it might scratch the finish. If the clone falls over it might shatter.

You pays your money and you takes your chance.

The one I have is machined! Yes, caveat emptor, but many of the known 'makes' are in fact made in the far east and it is the factories producing them that also produce the clones, often with the same tooling! There are cheap copies, and I couldn't say how to tell from an e-bay ad, but there are also good clones. Maybe I was just lucky.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

For those of us not up on our Latin "caveat emptor" means, buyer beware. Which of cause is a very pertinent point and why we who haven't had the experience hope that people who have had it will help us out and pass it on. What gets me about tripods is how one manufacturer can charge 250 pound for a really nice head but another will charge triple that for what appears to be the same thing.

It's no wonder the thought of Chinese copies seems inviting.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-18-2010 at 12:03 AM.

how one manufacturer can charge 250 pound for a really nice head but another will charge triple that for what appears to be the same thing.
    Mine cost half that for the tripod and head together!!
    I'll look and see what the make/model is and post here later.

Blog Entries

I have the Velmob DV6000 which has the PH-358 head. This is renowned for jamming up over time (unlike the 368 which Middy has on his DV7000) and inevitably mine did.

Being a skinflint I couldn't afford a full Manfrotto rig so I bought a 501HDV head and stuck it on the Velbon legs. Very pleased with the head and it'll probably see me through to my dying days.
    Tim

I've tried various brands starting with Velbon, Manfrotto then splashed out on a 600 Miller. Every one was a marked improvement in obtaining smooth pan and tilts.
    Finally found perfection in a Vinten Vision3.
    If you're just filming static shots from various locked off angles, a shoe box and packers will do everything you need. If you need ultra smooth pan and tilts at full zoom with no judders or clicks, nothing, but nothing, can compete with these heads.
    Mine cost 900 2nd hand, and is, for my weight of cam, perfection. Just wish I'd have realised this and bought wisely in the 1st place instead of trying to convince myself the others were good. They weren't, they just fitted my budget at the time and I should have waited until I'd tried these 1st and saved my time and money.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast